Thoughts on metacam - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on metacam

Well, we've been on previcox and tramadol for a while with Midnights arthritis. The previcox does virtually nothing as there really isn't a difference between him on it or off it. My regular vet is adamant on keeping him on previcox as it is the supposed safest of the NSAIDs. Anyways, my holistic vet who also does western medicine is willing to switch NSAIDs as the previcox isn't working. He is getting accupuncture which does help and adequan that helps a lot but is on backorder. Anyways, what do you guys think of metacam? I know from experience that some dogs respond differently to different NSAIDs. Some have a marked response to rimadyl and not to deramaxx and vice versa. Midnight is also getting glucosamine chondroitin supplements, hyaluronic acid, msm, fish oil, vit e and Chinese herbs. He is on once weekly adequan and I'd due for a loading dose in July. I have enough for that thank goodness. He also gets tramadol and previcox. If I do switch the previcox, I'll do a week long flush before starting metacam. His bloods were excellent so no liver or kidney compromise. Just really checking to see if anyone has had success with metacam. I'm disappointed that previcox doesn't work, but that doesn't mean all NSAIDs won't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had it with my female and it really gave her a new lease on life. She was like a puppy again. I liked the liquid form because you could taper down the dost to the least effective dose.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Master Member

I can't comment on the use of metacam in this case, but since you are already giving some natural supplements, have you considered adding Coconut oil as well? It has amazing benefits and my mom started taking it 6 months ago for her arthritis and she has noticed marked improvement. Might be worth giving a try. Our Jake gets 3 1/2 oz a week added to his food and I believe it was a big benefit in helping clear up his allergies and chronic ear infections.

- Jake (DOB 1/25/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Crowned Member

My vet uses it for after surgery pain control, never had any issue and the dogs always seemed comfortable after taking it so it was effective. There was no nausea or other side effects I noticed either

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Master Member

We started using Metacam when Teddy turned 12, due to arthritis in his hips. Within no time Teddy was his old bouncy self, it was as if he was 6 again. Teddy lived for another 4 years with almost no limitations. We chose to use the liquid because Teddy was a pain in the butt to pill and was notorious for spitting out pills hours later. With the liquid, you can also regulate the amount of medication you give your dog more effectively than you can with the pills.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006

Last edited by Caitydid255; 06-26-2013 at 07:48 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM

my senior girl was on metacam for a couple years, I then switched to the human form meloxicalm, much cheaper, very small dosage..She was on that, plus msm, hylauronic acid, tramadol..She did really well on it, when I missed a dose I could tell..Liver/kidney function was always fine.

Each dog is different, one may be able to tolerate what another may not.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

My late seniors ...Ringer, Honey and Kelly were all on Meticam during their senior years and did very well on it.

Sadly, I started Slider on Pred and will have to stop giving it to him (forget for how long but quite a while), before he can start taking Meticam.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight351 View Post
Well, we've been on previcox and tramadol for a while with Midnights arthritis. The previcox does virtually nothing as there really isn't a difference between him on it or off it. My regular vet is adamant on keeping him on previcox as it is the supposed safest of the NSAIDs. Anyways, my holistic vet who also does western medicine is willing to switch NSAIDs as the previcox isn't working. He is getting accupuncture which does help and adequan that helps a lot but is on backorder. Anyways, what do you guys think of metacam? I know from experience that some dogs respond differently to different NSAIDs. Some have a marked response to rimadyl and not to deramaxx and vice versa. Midnight is also getting glucosamine chondroitin supplements, hyaluronic acid, msm, fish oil, vit e and Chinese herbs. He is on once weekly adequan and I'd due for a loading dose in July. I have enough for that thank goodness. He also gets tramadol and previcox. If I do switch the previcox, I'll do a week long flush before starting metacam. His bloods were excellent so no liver or kidney compromise. Just really checking to see if anyone has had success with metacam. I'm disappointed that previcox doesn't work, but that doesn't mean all NSAIDs won't work.
We use Metacam for our greyhound. She's only 5 but due to poor breeding she has to have the medication along with a supplement. It does wonders for her, the swelling is reduced in her ankles and she actually plays (well as much as any greyhound would )
I recommend it, good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Sounds like everyone that has used it seemed to like it! I was figuring dosages and stuff as well and apparently the other vet underdosed the previcox. He has been getting a half of a 227 mg tab and that is 113 mg roughly. For his size, I figured the dosage for midnight is really closer to 131 mg. Dont really know if that will make a difference but it obviously doesn't work.
Anyways, in my quest of supplements, I did try coconut oil, but after about 4 days, he started vomiting it up after giving it. I stopped and he was fine. Don't know why he couldn't tolerate coconut oil but it was a no go. As to the metacam, my vet also suggested I could try the meloxicam tablets. The dose for Midnight would be 1/2 a 7.5 mg tablet. Since it is a 4 dollar Rx, if it doesn't work we can move on. The liquid is super expensive, but if the tabs work, I think I will switch to the liquid long term for more accurate dosing. His actual dosage I figured is 3.2mg and a half tab is 3.75mg so a little high, but I'm going to watch him super close and we are going to get an NSAID panel after he has been on it for 10 days.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

Just so you are aware black tarry diarrhea are a side effect as well kidney failure which is acute...so you can do a w/u to see if safe to put on, but you cannot determine how your dog will metabolize, nor if the kidneys are in a weak state, but not so bad as to show on BW...which metacam could be the catalyst that pushes him to ill health.

A senior dog moves slower, lives w/some degree of pain (we all do as we age)...it's normal. You cannot turn a senior into a bouncy puppy with NSAIDS for you. Sorry. I am sure your dog is feeling pretty good with mild pain, just not good enough in your eyes. Let him go at his own pace

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 06-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page