having more then one senior at the same time. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

having more then one senior at the same time.

I love my two seniors! I will say at times with health issues it can be difficult,

Lakota- post chemo for lymphoma- 3 years and still going strong. They told me with chemo 7-9 months maybe a year. Here we are 3 years later, holistic vet has been a good send!
Spine issues- herbal meds, acupuncture, chiropractic. Still chasing that ball!

My Miss jade -Of course the age old spine and hips problems. herbal meds,
acupuncture, chiropractic. Thank goodness it has helped, so we been able to avoid meds with harmful side affects.
Spleen removed 3 years ago- Enlarged but no cancer ( Yay)
Bloat with GVD, surgery 2 weeks ago- doing well now. That was terrifying, of course it happen after my vet was closed. ER vet is 1 hour away. Made it there in 35 minutes. It happened very quickly, I have never experience this in the years I have had GSD. Have done much reading on it, so was very aware of what was happing. The er vet said we were very lucky, to have gotten her there just as the stomach was twisting. She has had a few issues from the surgery. We are finally on the way to a full recovery.
Keeping a close on her as once they have bloat very common for it to happen again, yes stomach was tacked.

Of course growing up a year apart, they have had some small issues and some scares through the years. Love my two seniors and would not give up one moment with them!

Would love to hear from other members who have more than one senior at the same time.

Brigiette

My Kids: Miss Jade
Lakota
Natalie - Foster Failure
Ella - Foster Failure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Your seniors are very lucky to have you. I have had only one dog at a time but I learned a lot about senior dogs from my Husky who lived to 19. I did have 2 senior cats and I think they supported one another so that when the eldest died, the other grieved so that I adopted an older quiet cat which gave him a new lease on live. I think it would be the same with having 2 senior dogs like you do. They help eachother and there are no worries about will the older dog overdue trying to keep up with the younger dog. And like you, one can concentrate on their care as seniors and enjoy that precious time with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Knighted Member

Apache is 10-1/2 and Kiya is going to be 9.
Apache still acts like a rambunctious pup always has a ball or stuffy toy. He has really bad artritis but he never ever complains .
Kiya is my heart dog, she has suffered from seizures since she was 18 months old. I learned so much from her and what we went thru together, she changed me and my life forever. I am having a hard time watching her slow down and strugglle with hind end weakness, mostly a side effect from her meds.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I LOVE THE SENIORS, ABSOLUTELY ADORE THEM!!! IMHO they are so special.

I currently only have one senior, Slider who's 10-1/2. Currently he takes 5 pills every day (2 Tramadol 2 times a day, 1 Dasuquin) and 1 pill (Pred) every other day (fortunately none are very expensive).

However, a few years ago I had three at one time: a brother & sister and a third who was six months younger (long story ... I knew I was getting the male, but I also ended up accidently getting his sister and then six months later a friend gave me the youngest as a house warming gift.

Having three seniors was extremely expensive since all three had old age issues. At one time I was giving the three dogs 48 pills a day, all relating to old age issues. Ringer also needed physical therapy, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy which weren't cheap. All three also had a lot of vet visits and hospital bills.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

Last edited by arycrest; 04-08-2013 at 01:22 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Boy, I must be lucky. My Senior is healthy as a horse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM

I had 5 at once . . . now have 3 . . .

Buddy, cat, was 2 months from 16, he passed October 2012 from congestive heart failure. He had been diagnosed 10 months prior with a heart condition common in Boxers, the last 11 weeks of his life with congestive heart failure. All his docs said he was a miracle kitty, they have never seen one fight to live like he did, most succumb to the heart disease within a month or two . . . and if congestive heart failure starts, they leave more quickly, but he fought with everything he had. And he had kidney disease the last 3+ years of his life. Had Buddy since he was 6 weeks old.

Salem, cat 1 month from 16, he passed in March, 2013 from Liver Cancer. He presented no symptoms until we noted a little swelling in his abdomen. Took him in, and it was cancer, we only had 3 more weeks with him.

Rusty, Salem's litter mate, is now 16 1/2. He is doing OK. Salem & Rusty came to us at 6 weeks old.

Thor, GSD 13, possibly 14. He has normal aging issues, though doing quite well for a dog that was stage 4 H/W positive on rescue. He has a very slight murmur. He does have arthritis in his spine and hips, and is on all the supplements, and receiving laser and acupuncture. He has also developed some fecal incontinence, seems to be after he is sleeping and stands, but no big deal, we pick it up and go on about our day. Thor came to us about 3 years old. He has had hydrotherapy to help strengthen his back end, and also gone through Stem Cell Therapy.

Kira, GSD will be 11 at Thanksgiving -- doing well, no known issues, and not slowing down too much. She was just under a year when coming to us.

I wouldn't have traded our time with them all together for anything. Everyone always told us -- they are so close together, you will lose at the same time. We did with Buddy and Salem - 5 months apart, we were crushed. But I'd rather have had them and had them together than not, and would do it again. I LOVE the seniors. And miss our Bud & Salem so very much.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

I have three . Lucky is my oldest but very healthy. Chevy and Thunder nothing major just arthritis w/ Chevy . Thunder has no health problems. The girls are 10,Luck is 11.I have had seniors for a long time now and I treasure the relationship they offer.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Master Member

My oldest GSD is AL who is 11.5 yrs, the next oldest is Boz who will be 7 in July. But I also have 2 geriatric smaller dogs, one is a 16 yr old Shih Tzu and another is a 14 yr old Basenji mix. Both have their issues, but oh boy I love these senior dogs <3

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Knighted Member

We have 2 senior dogs, Heidi and Loki. 2 senior cats. I love having seniors and fail to see why the seniors at the shelter wait so long for homes. Heidi is my dog and we can do whatever we want to now. She doesn't feel ill used if she doesn't get to run 5 miles a day. If we want to walk a bit, we do; if not we stay in. We have such an easy relationship now. She is fully trained, but still enjoys training. Heidi and I are aging together and really enjoying each other.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM

I had 5 seniors at once - 4 Italian Greyhounds and 1 Doberman.

Lost the 9 year old IG (hemangiosarcoma) in his sleep, then less than 2 weeks later lost my 14 year old Dobe. Another year later I lost the 11 year old IG, then the next year the 15 year old IG, and I still have one IG that will be 14 on Friday. Surprisingly everyone was very healthy until the end. I didn't have big vet bills, and the only one taking any medication was the Dobe, for spay incontinence.

That said, you are probably going to have to euthanize me whenever I lose Sage. I swear she's my Doberman reincarnated.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page