incontinence issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

incontinence issue

Heidi, my 11 year old GSD, is having incontinence issues only at night. Most of the time, she sleeps with us in our bed. I don't want to make her stop because I don't want to hurt her feelings after all these years of letting her. However, I also don't want our mattress to be ruined (so far I've been able to scrub it clean and use baking soda to take out the smell) and also washing sheets, blankets and mattress pad every night is getting a bit old. I am wondering what other folks do in this situation? My husband, to his credit, isn't pushing the issue, but really doesn't see why I don't just make her sleep on the floor in her own bed now. She wets her bed too, though, which will eventually ruin the hard wood floor underneath. I have heard of incontinence pads and am wondering if they would protect our bed or hers, if they are comfortable for her to sleep on and if they are very costly? Also, I know there is medication to be had. Does anyone know about it, side effects, cost, etc.? I will be calling the vet later today, but thought I would see what I could find out first. Thanks for any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

How about a doggy diaper? Not sure if they will help, but worth a shot.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Knighted Member

For my girl Kiya, I have her bed on the floor between my side of the bed and the wall. I put a shower curtain liner (or wee wee pads) on top of her bed, then cover it with a sheet so all I would have to wash is the sheet. I use a baby gate to keep her there.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

This could be spay incontinence which is easily controlled with medication.

There are actually some pretty good medications for incontinence available now. I would go that route first because she will be more comfortable.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Elite Member

My Chi had to be put on a med for same thing...Maybe not as bad as yours but she was leaving wet spots everywhere and often large spots on us when she slept on our laps..Long story short, dr gave me meds for her and it has stopped..

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks. I am calling the vet tomorrow about medication. I've thought about diapers, but don't think she would leave them on. Also, maybe it's crazy, but I don't want her to be embarrassed.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM

We used Proin with our last GSD.. it really helped with the "leakage" I would ask about trying it. We saw no side effects and a postive outcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

visit the Vet. take her out during the night,
a couple of times if necessary. let her sleep
on her bed in your room. cover her bed with
plastic sheets and a layer of towels.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Piddle pads. The late Barker the Elder recognized what I was doing and would position her butt on the pad with my help. And get a plastic cover for your matress. Makes things a whole lot easier.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

My vet prescribed Proin. She started with it on Saturday and has had no accidents for the past two nights! Hopefully, the problem is solved. We are watching for any side effects; haven't seen any yet. If only everything could be so easy! Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page