I don't think I can do this anymore....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I don't think I can do this anymore.......

I'm sitting here crying my eyes out and just feel so bad. In May we had surgery on our 13 year olds spine because it was getting very hard for hm to walk and we thought it might help. Its been 3 months and he can't walk at all on his back legs. I bought a harness to help take him out he's 100lb dog. But its getting harder and harder to do. I'm getting to the point were I get upset with him and I don't want to do that its not his fault. And I can't bring myself to put him down. The only problem he has is his legs. The rest of him is sharp I think thats why I can't bring myself to do it. I'm so upset I feel like I'm letting him down. And I just can't stop crying today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Can you find a wagon/cart? I'm sure someone must have a used one that wouldn't be cost-prohibitive. I would feel the same way about not putting him down if the only thing wrong w/him is his legs. I had a dog w/rear leg issues and chiropractic helped immensely. At this point, you don't have much to lose.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'm don't want to put him down just for his back legs and I won't. He's been part of our family for 13 years. If there were other problems with him I would.
Right now I can't afford a cart I spent 2,000 on his back surgery and I'd do it again if it would help. We took the chance the vet said it may or may not but we couln't just let him go. He's a very special dog. Last year my husband had a spinal cord injury and the dog stayed by his side until the helicopter came to get him. And when he got home from the hospital he never left his side. Even now that he can't walk if my husband is in pain he will try to get to him and will drag himself if he needs to. He is very determined dog. I got the harness to help take him out but its getting harder and harder to get him outside. If anyone has a cart they would like to sell let me know. I'm willing to try anything that will help him. My husband gets fustrated because he wants to help but is still recoving himself and I can't take the chance on him hurting his back again since he was so close to being paralized and is still using a cane to get around because he can't feel his feet.
I feel so bad that I lost my tempter earlier it's not my dogs fault he's trying. And I'm still crying over it. He can pick up on my stress. Anyway we're not giving up on him I'll keep doing what I have to to take care of him as it is I come home at lunch time to take him out so he doens't have to go all day without going out its not good for him to hold it that long.
We did get a 200 gal orange picking bucket we live in florida to fill with water we're going to try to get him in it and try and streagthen his legs with water therapy.

Anway sorry for my whinning I guess I'm just having a off day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Chiropractor AND acupunture.

Contact dog wheel chair companies, sometimes chairs are re-gifted and sold at a reduced cost.

Contact Animal Rehab Services - in Canada, but they may direct you or have in stock and will ship....on their site is a blurb..."Inquire about our “Recycling Policy” on chairs that we sell"

Canadian Animal Rehab Services

Also consider an animal or human ND (Naturopathic/nutritional doctor). THey are better equiped to advise on suppliments and foods that will reduce inflammation, bust up scar tissue (a possible reason for the surgery not working), nourish the nerve endings (b-complex and B-12 along w/certain amino acids...also good for brain function...bridging the gap. Coconut oil (organic virgin) is good for the brain and produces ketones...

Your pooch is aging and has gone through a lot, the body is taxed and needs help to rebuild...but you gotta give back his confidence - Wheels!

And we all get frustrated when our dogs are sick...I went through heck for 6 months with my dog and when he slows I find myself getting short with him, but...he also plays meso I give him doggie spoilage to make up to him

G

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Do you give them people supplements?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a33890 View Post
Do you give them people supplements?
Absolutely!

Suppliment dosages are based on a 150 lb. human in relatively good health.

When supplimenting a GSD, figure they are 2/3 weight of human...so give 2/3 of dose...or half if something is specfied as 2/day...always go low end to start and work up...certain suppliments have medicinal doses for Illness, so can go higher range.

Can give more info later...

But do some research online into neurological disorders, paralysis and the pathways that are affected, then L/U suppliments for, ....then do it with "nutritionl" or "Natural remedies"

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you I can use all the help I can get. I'll order the supplements.
I have omega and glucosomine. Maybe I'll get him started on them now.
Any other supplement ideas would be appriciated. Thanks again.

Last edited by a33890; 07-29-2012 at 07:27 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a33890 View Post
Thank you I can use all the help I can get. I'll order the supplements.
I have omega and glucosomine. Maybe I'll get him started on them now.
Any other supplement ideas would be appriciated. Thanks again.
Well the two won't hurt...
As for any others I would suggest consulting with an Integrative vet, usually offer acupuncture and Chiro...Your vet will likely NOT help give you direction on this, so you will have to look for in your area...AHVMA...Google search

Bone Broth is a great nutrional support and has the benefit of glucosamine as well so much more...here is a link...I'll PM you how to make..o.k. if anything we'l make your pooch feel better.

The Healing Power of Bone Broth Transition Now

Note this calls for all kinds of bones, but Chicken cartiledge is best for the Type 11 collagen which is needed for cushioning between vertibraes...But read all the properties about and what it supplies to the body on this link...

Was the surgery for DM or slipped disc problem or injury?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

He has DM and his lower disk next to his tail bone was pressing against the nerve so he removed that disk and filled with fat. From what the vet said. He had a pretty big cut from near his tail maybe about 6 inches. I'll try and post some pictures.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

I got a Doggone cart from the company through Ebay. It was around $200. I may not have the name spelled exactly right but they are out of Bozeman, MT. This was one with the big bicycle wheels because I live on a hillside. After I no longer needed it, I sold it to someone on the forum. She used it for quite a while, then passed it along to another person. Eddie's Wheels is another company. Check out EBay for prices on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page