Food question for seniors - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Food question for seniors

Sorry to start another in the endless debate over food, but I've got a Senior Shepherd and a Puppy BC/lab mix. I'm feeding two different foods. I put Buddy on Senior food after Shadow died to try to control weight, but now that we have a puppy and he is a lot more active I'm wondering if I should switch him back to regular food?

Buddy will be 10 next month
Ivan is 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

You should be able to feed them both a good quality All Life Stages food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Does science diet make one? What about Royal Canine? Where on the label would I look for "All life stages "?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't feed Science Diet or RC. Look for something on the label that says "This food has been certified by the AAFCO to be complete and balanced for all life stages." If your Shep/BC mix puppy is going to be a large dog, make sure your MAX calcium/phosphorus percentages are low enough for a large breed puppy.

I really like Precise Foundation as a good all life stages food.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I wouldn't feed Science Diet or RC. Look for something on the label that says "This food has been certified by the AAFCO to be complete and balanced for all life stages." If your Shep/BC mix puppy is going to be a large dog, make sure your MAX calcium/phosphorus percentages are low enough for a large breed puppy.

I really like Precise Foundation as a good all life stages food.
Thanks. I will look we are pretty limited in choices here. I'm not sure what puppy is giong to be size wise. I think pretty small. I don't think there is shepherd in him. My old guy is a pb though.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Made a special trip in to Carson City today to visit a PetsMart, figuring they would have more options that the tractor supply. They didn't have
precise foundation. I did find the wellness that was suggested in a different thread. 78 dollars a bag. Yikes heart attack. I can't do that. They had a new science diet that is grain free, so I grabed a small bag of that to give a try. Also stopped at 2 feed stores on the way home. One had something called old chuck or something like that, that was high preformance and 18 dollars a bag. Didn't figure that was very good stuff, the other one had stopped carrying dog food completely.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

Have you looked at the Precise dealer locator? Precise Pet Products. The price on mine just went up to $45 for a 40lb bag. It was $39.99 for 40lb for a long time. You can even get it delivered through Pet Food Direct or similar.

PetSmart/PetCo are ripoffs.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

<H4>Retailer Locator

No Retailers found within 50 miles of Nevada, USA
</H4>
This was as far as the search engine would let me go. So I put in my zip code, the Carson City zip code and the Reno Zip code, finally just put in the entire state, No luck.

I'm leary of ordering online. Our mail service is horrible. I ordered a Kindle from Amazon in February. It was sent from an Amazon warehouse in the next town over, less than an hours drive. It took 3 weeks for it to arrive.

I will try going to the tractor supply on Friday. I will post what they have and maybe you all can help me find a better food within my budget.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you get decent UPS that is who doggiefood.com uses and I have been very pleased with them.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post

I will try going to the tractor supply on Friday. I will post what they have and maybe you all can help me find a better food within my budget.
Tractor Supply carries 4Health, Diamond Naturals, and Taste of the Wild. None are bad foods so far as ingredients go, but they're all made by Diamond and Diamond seems to be having a rough time with the recalls in the last few months.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page