Daisy may have DM ,questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Daisy may have DM ,questions

OK I was told last night Daisy may have DM. She has some issues in the hip area that make her vet think she has lost some mobility ,her back paws are curling and she drags her back paws a few times a week. She also lost control of her bowels while she was try to get up from the floor. Her hips appeared to be out of position and she needed help . This happened twice in 24 hrs both times while we were helping her get up. She is on Dasuquin,2 aday. Due to her episode of pancreatitis he does not want to use anti inflamatories unless he has to. We discussed she doent appear to be in pain. she is alert and has an appetite for home cooked or kibble if necessary. He wants her to be get lots of things she wants and avoid stairs. Thank god we are moving no steps for Miss Daisy there. What else can I do? She gave everybody kisses last night and was only half as nervous as she usually is at the vets.He also said that her weight is very good 65lbs and that is helping her cope better. I was wondering are there any herbal remedies that help movement and decrease pain that will be ok for a senior girl who had an episode of pancreatitis 7 months ago ? It could be many things and he said that continued testing might give a more complete answer but he didnt think based on her age that there were alot of options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am sorry to hear this.
What testing has he done? How quickly did it come about?

Have you sent in the genetic test for it (it is cheaper and just as fast if you do it through OFA than if you pay the vet to send in a blood draw)?
Has he tried prednisone or done any x-rays -- If it is injury, prednisone may help

When Grim developed rear leg wobbliness I found out there are all kinds of things it could be.

DM (available genetic test but it is somewhat controversial as to whether they are testing the right genetic marker)
Spinal Stroke (FCE) typically a sudden injury displaying unilaterally (don't know how they diagnose - they ruled that out for us though)
Tumor (myelogram or MRI for defiitive diagnosis)
Disc Compression (that is what we think Grim had) (need myelogram of MRI for defninitve diagnosis)
Arthritis / Spondylosis (x rays will tell that one and that is what caused problems for Linus another GSD I had)
Tick Diseases - Can cause chronic neurological issues and there are many emerging issues. There are diagnostic tick panels.

We never walked away with a definitive diagnosis for Grim and even with a DM test result of "carrier" the vet still thinks it "could be" DM. That said, we are doing acupuncture and giving some of the supplements recommend by Dr Clemmons (not all-google Jack Flash DM - as well as some Oriental Medicines given by a holistic vet.

Unfortunately the diagnosis of DM comes about when everything else is elminated.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Joycoyn. Ill explore the testing w/ OFA. He hasnt done any testing he's based it on the her curling her toes,the slowly( over a two to three month period) increasing weakness in her back legs and her bowel incontience. She could get into the truck w/ out a ramp in October her last check up.She is very alert but has episodes where she appears confused and lost. After looking at video from the Chesapeake bay retrievers I was pretty upset. Daisy does not have any movement like that. She based on past GI issues and her epiode w/ pancreatitis in August of 2011may not be able to tolerate anti inflamatories. I'm going to talk to her old vet and my neighbor who is a vet iver the weekend.He didnt mention steroids.No e rays since last summer that showed some dyplacia in the hip ,thinking it was on the right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The test is inexpensive enough ....... the onset of several months though is typical with DM - that page has a lot of information and links on it.

Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group - Jack Flash's Homepage

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.
It does sound like DM vs. FCE or any of the others, unfortunately
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

Something like this might come in handy. The ones that are one piece work really well, that's the kind I used for Dakota. (I can't find it online with a quick search, can't remember what it was called.)

Guardian Gear Lift & Lead 4-In-1 Dog Harness

Keeping good thoughts for Miss Daisy.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Everybody!

White Shepherd,The link to 4:1 harness Im ordering it.Daisy says thank you and she knows she has lots of support.

MSVETTE: Thanks ,Last night I spent several hours trying to research. Everything sounds like it could be what she has and then it all sounds like DM.

I hope w/ the Dasquinn and a one level house and lots of EILIF,Daisy will have a golden retirement w/ no more sitting for treats.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
I was wondering are there any herbal remedies that help movement and decrease pain that will be ok for a senior girl who had an episode of pancreatitis 7 months ago ? It could be many things and he said that continued testing might give a more complete answer but he didnt think based on her age that there were alot of options.
Sorry to hear about this. We lost Shadow to DM just before Thanksgiving. I don't know of any herbals, but we did find Vitamine E, that our vet recommended, seemed to help.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Master Member

I'm sorry you and Daisy are going through this.

Our old GSD had DM about 6/7 years ago. She remained reasonably active for 2/3 years - just needed help sometimes getting up steps. We then got her a wheelchair - she loved that.

All best wishes
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

That site really helped me out when my dog got DM.

It does sound like your dog might have DM. I'm very sorry. Hugs to you. I know how hard it is to see your dog with this terrible disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page