Teeth-- - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Teeth--

So just curious..How are your "seniors" teeth? We've had elderly dogs before. The oldest, besides Misty was a cool little chihuahua. Im not a little dog person, but he was my mom's dog and an AWESOME little guy. Anyway, back to teeth. I have had a few vets over the years as what I feed misty-16 in November, because they are astonished she has all her teeth and no dental problems. I've always fed a high quality dry food mixed with raw--or eggs and oatmeal. She gets regular dental bones and pig ears and rawhides and believe it or not, I've always brushed her teeth with a kids tooth past with a little peroxide about once a month and a few times a year i scrape around gum lines with peroxide and a pick. She;s great for me--but hates vets or groomers..most of her care I've done my own. I had the luck of working for a vet earlier in my life and being a groomer. So just curious how your seniors teeth have held up and what you do for them?

GS Misty 15.5 yrs
"Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Master Member

Dakota is our oldest (8). He has acted like an old man his whole life but I suppose when you consider that he is 135lbs, 8 years old is a senior. His teeth are terrible. We feed high quality dry. We don't give any raw hides: 1) if they digest big pieces, issues can arise and 2) two of our dogs have aggression with long lasting treats. I tried maintaining his teeth when he was young, but he drools a lot and it became terrible to do.

Ditto is only 4 and her teeth look like that of a well cared for 2 year old. Daisy on the other hand has the worst teeth I have ever seen on a young dog! I don't understand why. She eats the dry high quality food. Our newest, Weegee, is still getting his adult teeth. However, poodles are notorious for having bad teeth and he HATES when I mess with his mouth.

Hartz H-Chew O Large - Colors Vary - Free Shipping
^ Ditto has a ball made my hartz that is like this bone. I think they discontinued it. However, she loves it, and I believe it is a large part of why her teeth are so good.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

Libby (my covergirl dog, has her own thread in Pics) was at the vet today, she is 10 this spring.
The vet marveled at her teeth. I do the same - pick/scrape when needed, and brush afterwards with a novaldent type product (chlorhexadine based usually) and brush occasionally in between scrapes.

I do the rest of the dogs as needed as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Crowned Member

My older dog's teeth are great(whenever I take her anywhere they always ask when she will be a year old--she's 7.5), she has never had to have anything done at the vet for them, I just brush them and give her treats that help with tartar. Now my golden retriever(he's 2) had some issues, I was confused because I brushed, gave treats, etc. I prefer not to put the dogs under for a dental but I did with the golden in January...I figure he is still young enough and we can start all over--so far so good. The vet told me that sometimes no matter what you do some dogs always need more.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Daisy broke her two canines chewing on stuff but her other teeth appear ok . I use chews and need to start the spray. Lucky at 10 has teeth that are still pearly white but somewhat worn down.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I did forget that..Misty does have a chipped tooth..She had a weird fascination for rocks when she was young-sigh.....She's had it so long I do forget that haha. But other than that Im so proud of her teeth. She hated the spray. I guess some of it is also just genes like everything else

GS Misty 15.5 yrs
"Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page