Is this a little dementia? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Is this a little dementia?

My elderly dog, Frisco, is 11.3yrs old. He sometimes has a habit of scratching one long scratch on the wall, the bed, a closed door to our guestroom ( dogs are not allowed in there), while he is lying down. He'll keep that up for an hour or so when he does that. He's not being bothered by the pup at the time, sometimes it occurs when we are all sleeping, (no he does not need or want to go out because we tried getting him to go outside and he does not want to), and he is always given his Tramadol for his hip dysplasia/arthritis discomfort. He does have DM. Could it be a touch of dementia or another sign of the DM?

Brandy 1999-2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frisco 2001-2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

I'm a little confused about what you mean. He's scratching with his nails on the wall? Is he up on his hind legs? Can you give some more details?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I'm a little confused about what you mean. He's scratching with his nails on the wall? Is he up on his hind legs? Can you give some more details?
He is always laying down, and with his front paw he lifts it up and drags his paw and nails once, really loud down the wall or door, then a minute goes by and he does it again, over and over like that. I open the door and he doesn't want to go in there. I try letting him outside, he doesn't want to go, I give him his Tramadol for joint discomfort and he still does it. He will stop if I go into the bedroom and literally call him and coax him in there to his bed and go to sleep in there with him ( He sleeps in our bedroom). If I put him in the bedroom and tell him to lay on his bed, he will go to the other room , empty guestroom and scratch on the door ( as described above), or lay in the hallway and scratch on the wall.

Even when sleeping he will sometimes scratch the same way on the furniture for a while. He does this anytime of the day.

Brandy 1999-2011

Frisco 2001-2013

Cheyenne 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Huh. I have no idea. Makes me think of maybe a neurological issue but I'm really not sure. When was his last checkup?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

His last checkup was about 6 months ago. He has had a CBC screening and all is well. He does have hip problems and inflammatory bowel disease but is on meds for it.

Brandy 1999-2011

Frisco 2001-2013

Cheyenne 2011
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

You should probably talk to your vet about it. Some of the Addison's/Cushing's signs can be dementia like I believe? Senior Dog Care: Older Dogs, Aged Minds: Dealing With Dog Dementia has more info on dementia.

You can also start him on Cholodin if you want to try something. MVP Laboratories, Inc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page