Watching your best friend get old sucks. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unhappy Watching your best friend get old sucks.

Hard to imagine that when I brought him home, I wasn't even old enough to go to buy alcohol. I remember bringing him home and thinking that I'd still have this dog when I was old! Well, here I am, what I thought of then as old and watching him slow down is killing me.

You probably wouldn't notice it if you didn't know him.

His place on the tile by the big front window is abandoned now, forsaken in favor of the nice soft sofa.

He still gets up on the couch just fine, but he doesn't get off it unless he really has to, and then he takes care of all his needs at once-- potty, drink, snack, visit mom, visit dad, then back on the couch. No more hopping on and off at a whim to chase birds.

He still gets in the back of the Suburban just fine, but you can see him thinking about it, rolling it over in his mind before the jump. I've offered to help but he just gets offended.

He can still put in that burst of speed to beat his brother in a race to a Kong ball, but his baby brother has earned my undying gratitude for holding back a little more every day.

In short, he's growing old and while I can keep him as comfortable as I can and as healthy as I can for as long as I can, there's not a thing I can do to stop him from aging. My mother-in-law lost her Shadow last month, and he was only two and a half years older than my Rocky. Two and a half! I had a long talk with God and said that after the betrayal of taking my Cashdog so early, he at least owes me 14 good years with Rocky.

He just said, "We'll see."

Is anybody else having a hard time dealing with watching your best friend grow older? How are you coping? Share here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

It SUCKS!! I am in tears reading your post. I am sure I didn't cope with it well, so I have no advice. Our situations are different as K had developed so much arthritis by 10...but I just made sure that I left no stone unturned if it could help him or make him feel young even for a bit. So no real advice, just understanding I guess. It was so hard to watch K age

All I can say is cherish every lick, every sparkle in their eye, every time they do get up the gumption (sp) to chase a squirrel. Take it all in. I truly hope you get 4 more years with your Rocky.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

I lost my Shadow 4 months and 3 days ago, my Xena the year before that and my Duffy 2 years before Xena and since Shadow my Buddy has slowed down dramatically, It never gets any easier!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

Not coping well. Old dog is 14. DM hit her this time last year. Hard to believe she is still here. She sleeps a lot. She can no longer do the steps. I keep her on one level. There are two steps out the front door, so we limit her to that and walk her around the house into the yard. I support her rear to help her up the two steps. Sometimes she has accidents in her sleep. Or, when she is awake, if she doesn't realize in time. She can't hear. She no longer plays with toys. She still eats, enjoys her short slow walks, and seeks attention. She still barks at people and other dogs - most excitement of her day.

I can't remember who said it. I think one of the mods. "It is hard to watch them fade." It really is. My kids are 14 and 18. They say she doesn't seem like their dog any more. My son was hanging out with a friend who had a lab. He said he had forgotten how much energy a young dog had. Annie has been a great dog and a great friend. I have to admit though, that there is more taking care of her needs than actually enjoying her. And THAT makes me very sad.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
. I have to admit though, that there is more taking care of her needs than actually enjoying her. And THAT makes me very sad.
It also makes you a wonderful dog owner.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM

I lost my 12 year old on 12/8/11. I felt all the same things you are knowing she was getting old and having a hard time getting around. Still on our last day she wanted her walk, which had gotten shorter over the years and later that day she just died right in front of me, just like that and I knew she was getting old but she had'nt been sick or anything, so I still was'nt expecting it. I thought in my mind, i knew our time was getting shorter , thought I was preparing myself but your never ready for it. Treasure every moment you have and I hope you still get a long time with your dog.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned

Da_n! This string brought back memories of Abby - our OLD GSD who lived to almost 14 but the last year or so much marked by "old age" (spiced up with DM!) and watching her get slowere and slower and deafer and deafer.

It is VERY hard (SAD!) to watch an old friend age like that!

All that helps (a little) is all of the memories that one has of the dog!

Our curent guy is only 4.5yo so we have a number of years with him (we hope!).
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

:'-( bless you for taking care of her in old age. i fear the day i realize the things that you're noticing in your GSD. but i hope to have the patience and the blessing to have my dogs live with me as long as God permits. i think about this kind of stuff all the time. but the thing i fear most is not having them meet me at the rainbow bridge. i pray dogs have souls. i pray they will at some point be with me forever, healthy happy and agile as they can be.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Knighted Member

Way to brighten up the evening emoore.

I instantly thought of Ginger who we lost about two years ago of cancer.

She had bad hips and spinal arthritis before the cancer.

She was my BYB bred fifty dollar GSD that was the best and sweetest dog I ever owned.
She was an old soul from the get go. She potty trained herself, never destroyed anything and she preferred to sleep outside.
She was protective but sweet and won over everyone she met.
She barked when you would want a dog to bark but never unnecessarily.
At the end I had to try to adjust her pain medication based on looking at her expression. Too much of it made her worse but having none was not good either.
I still can hardly look at pictures of her.
I'm sorry that I didn't post anything to mysweetkaos during their loss but I couldn't read that thread without thinking of Ginger
I am however very sorry for your loss my sweetkaos.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Knighted Member

The only comparison I have is Tessa and when I got her she was old, old past her years and in such bad shape physically. It was still hard watching her decline even further. I can not imagine watching Dharma and Pippa do the same although I know if the fates allow, that is what will happen. It depresses me to think about it.

There is a guy at our dog park, he has a beautiful sable named Addie. She is everything the breed should be and he has bred her twice. She turned 10 this year. We have talked about how he has noticed her slowing down but she will still chase her ball on a string and work for a treat. I hope everyday that he gets 3-4 more years with her as she is an AMAZING dog. I really wish I had known him years ago as I would love to have had one of her puppies. He says that several of her puppies have gone on to be titled in Schutzhund.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page