Possible ACL tear - senior girl - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Possible ACL tear - senior girl

So we went away for the weekend and left Kya and Phinneas at their doggy daycare (which happens to be a close friend and at her house) so they were basically staying with our friend. Kya has been doing so good on the raw diet and new supplements, she acts like a 6 year old again! She does have bad hips and with the raw diet I have gotten the excess weight off of her. She loves to play with the other dogs now and will go on longer walks and romps with us again.

When I picked her up she was a little gimpy. I chalked it up to her having overdone it over the weekend. Well she is still limping a little and on closer inspection I believe it may be her cruciate. She is still walking/running around (hard to stop her) and does not appear to be in any pain. She will let me manipulate the knee but does seem uneasy when I do it.

Luckily for me I am a vet tech and very close with the vet I work with. I of course called her right away. We have a plan in place.

Here's my question. Kya is 12 years old. She has had medical issues her whole life, has not been under anesthesia since her spay when she was a puppy and she did badly then. Am I a bad mom in thinking I would rather manage this without surgery? I really hate to put her under anesthesia at this point. I guess I just need reassurance as most vets are all about fixing it surgically and I'm not sure I want to risk what little time I have left with her IF I can manage it without the surgery. Her well being, happiness and quality of life are the most important thing to me.

And I know I am getting ahead of myself. All my schooling, training and experience go right out the window when I am dealing with my Kya girl.

Thanks for listening! Any advice is appreciated.

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

I would see how bad the tear is before deciding how to manage it. Get the xray done and see what it shows. It might just be a pulled muscle or strain.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM

I would see first as well, it doesn't sound to 'bad', I believe if she really blew it, she would not be putting any pressure on the leg at all.

My 11 yr old aussie had a slight tear last spring/ tho I have gone the surgical route before, I decided with him, I was going to wait it out, and try no surgery..He's back to being totally normal now, so I'm glad I waited and just managed it.

Hope it's nothing serious ..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well I was jumping the gun and being an overprotective mom. Kya is doing fine and doesn't seem to have any issues anymore. I think she just overdid it and it was just her arthritis. Very happy about that.

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM

I have nursed 2 who actually had tears and we had the TPLO procedure when they were around 8 or so. As time went on they developed some issues with the none repaired knee's. We decided because of their age not to do anymore surgery, both were around 10. We added Glucosamine and Chondritin supplements to their food, which seem to help a little. I then went to Adequan injections which specifically helps with lubricating the joints. We saw a real improvement with that. We also would have acupuncture treatments. Also kept their weight down and made sure that they got the level of exercise they could tolerate. With all of those approaches one made it to 13 and the other to 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page