Senior dog exercise sugestions needed. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Senior dog exercise sugestions needed.

Have a 9 year old gentleman who lost his brother and lifelong companion in November. His biggest play time was we would throw balls for his brother and he would chase his brother chasing the ball. They would tear around the yard like maniacs. Since his brother passed we can not tempt our old guy to do anything. He will not chase a ball or any other toy very far. I can get him to chase me for about 5 seconds but he just doesn't have his heart into it. He doesn't want to go for walks and will stand at the door to the car waiting to be let in. (he does love car rides and I've been taking him more and more because they seem to make him happy) He has aged so much since his brother died and I don't know what else I can do to help him. I can't lose him too! BTW we have been trying to find a rescue friend for him but so far no luck. The only interest he has shown in anything was at a rescue event there was a puppy that caught his attention but they wouldn't even consider us they wanted a working home for the pup. In May school will be out and I'll be home again full time for the summer so if we haven't found a rescue by then I'll be looking for breeder. In the meantime ideas / suggestions for getting my guy some exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Is he on a glucosamine supplement? Anything for pain?

If he's "ok" in the joint dept., you could try just leashing him up and going - but I agree a friend might help.

We're a long ways away but we have a sweet female puppy (10-11mos.) and she needs a good home

(make that loooong ways away)
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Is he on a glucosamine supplement? Anything for pain?

If he's "ok" in the joint dept., you could try just leashing him up and going - but I agree a friend might help.

We're a long ways away but we have a sweet female puppy (10-11mos.) and she needs a good home

(make that loooong ways away)
No he doesn't take anything for pain and his senior food has glucosamine in it. I didn't want to give him extra for fear of him getting too much. He has never appeared to be in pain. He sure runs fast enough when he hears his food bowl. We haven't changed his diet or the amount he gets but he is starting to look chunky to me. I need to get him exercise somehow. Should I make him go on walks even though he doesn't want to go?

How far is a long way away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

Eastern WA! Close to the OR border though.

Extra glucosamine won't hurt, most foods don't have enough to matter.
We use Next Level for horses, it has dog dosages on the back
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
No he doesn't take anything for pain and his senior food has glucosamine in it. I didn't want to give him extra for fear of him getting too much. He has never appeared to be in pain. He sure runs fast enough when he hears his food bowl. We haven't changed his diet or the amount he gets but he is starting to look chunky to me. I need to get him exercise somehow. Should I make him go on walks even though he doesn't want to go?

How far is a long way away?
It might be worth giving him a little extra glucosamine... I just talked about this with my vet and she said that any extra his body can't absorb will just pass through. He may get runny stool for a day if you give him too much but back off the dosage a bit and he'll be back to normal. This worked wonders with my 11 year old lab/border collie. She's also on Rimadyl if she's had a particularly long day and while it's still obvious she's slowing down, she's much peppier

Another thing my old girl loves is going to a new place and being allowed to wander around and sniff for a while. Not a walk or anywhere with a goal but just a new place for her to explore. Definitely brightens her day.

I'm so sorry for your loss and now having to adjust to a senior citizen, it can be hard to watch I understand just wanting to make them happy in their golden years!

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Eastern WA! Close to the OR border though.

Extra glucosamine won't hurt, most foods don't have enough to matter.
We use Next Level for horses, it has dog dosages on the back
I've always wanted to see that part of the country. I'll have to ask my husband tomorrow if he would consider a road trip.

Thanks for the suggestion on glucosamine. I will give it a try.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
It might be worth giving him a little extra glucosamine... I just talked about this with my vet and she said that any extra his body can't absorb will just pass through. He may get runny stool for a day if you give him too much but back off the dosage a bit and he'll be back to normal. This worked wonders with my 11 year old lab/border collie. She's also on Rimadyl if she's had a particularly long day and while it's still obvious she's slowing down, she's much peppier

Another thing my old girl loves is going to a new place and being allowed to wander around and sniff for a while. Not a walk or anywhere with a goal but just a new place for her to explore. Definitely brightens her day.

I'm so sorry for your loss and now having to adjust to a senior citizen, it can be hard to watch I understand just wanting to make them happy in their golden years!
Thanks. I will try the glucosamine. I don't think Rimadyl is needed yet though. He got a clean bill of health from the vet shortly after his brother got sick. He had a lump and I freaked out. Thankfully it turned out to be a fatty tumor, the vet said nothing to worry about. Mosly I think he is just depressed without his brother to tempt him to play chase and with the kids off at college. Do dogs get depressed? He has always been my cuddle boy. No one ever told him he was to big to be a lap dog. LOL I will have to try walking him in different places. It is so hard out here in the desert because people just let their dogs roam free and I don't want to run into any trouble. Maybe I'll see if he likes it up at the lake, I think leashes are required there.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Have a 9 year old gentleman who lost his brother and lifelong companion in November......Since his brother passed we can not tempt our old guy to do anything.
IME, dogs do get depressed. When Bandit died in an accident, Banshee (his littermate) was lost. She wouldn't do anything. She wouldn't play. No interest at all. She did not really ever play again until we got Sierra two years later.

If your dog was mostly centered on playing with his brother over you, then I would expect he's lost right now. Do you have any friends with dogs that you might visit?

btw...I use Dasuquin w/ MSM (buy from Amazon!) and have noticed a significant improvement in Jax.

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Knighted Member

Poor boy. He might be in some pain as well as depressed. My 9 yr old has bad arthritis and has been on Dasuquin (has a bit of pain reliever in it) and carprofen (generic of rymadyl). My guy is a picky eater so I don't give him extra glucosamine like I give my 2 girls.
Since he likes going for rides do that. At 9 I don't stress about the exercise, my guy gets about a 1 hour walk everyday to keep him mobile, but I don't think he needs that much. He still likes to chase the ball a few times.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
IME, dogs do get depressed. When Bandit died in an accident, Banshee (his littermate) was lost. She wouldn't do anything. She wouldn't play. No interest at all. She did not really ever play again until we got Sierra two years later.

If your dog was mostly centered on playing with his brother over you, then I would expect he's lost right now. Do you have any friends with dogs that you might visit?

btw...I use Dasuquin w/ MSM (buy from Amazon!) and have noticed a significant improvement in Jax.
Unfortunately our friends with big dogs are not in this state. We do have friends, with dogs, nearby but they are itty bitty. I'm afraid Buddy might accidently hurt them. He doesn't know his own size. I was just reading the reviews on the Dasuquin it sounds like good stuff. I'm willing to try just about anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page