Senior dog food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Senior dog food

I have always been one to say that senior, large breed, etc kibbles are a gimmick. Rocky was eating an all life stages food quite healthfully and happily until one day he became very very sick. After a some blood tests we narrowed the issue down to his liver (some of you may remember this). His holistic vet had us do a variety of things at once to get the problem under control, including switching from the 25% protein, beef-based kibble he was eating, to Precise Senior, which is 18 (EIGHTEEN!) percent protein, and chicken based. Except chicken meal is the second ingredient; rice is the first.

Everything in me rebels at paying more for a "senior" food that is so low in protein and so high in rice. But, but, but. . . . he's doing really well. We finished all the liver support meds the vet put him on, and he's still healthy with his liver enzymes in normal range. We're monitoring liver enzymes and everything is currently hunky dory on the senior food.

I don't know for a fact it was the higher-protein, beef-based ALS food that caused the issue, but I'm hesitant to try what I consider to be a better food than the senior food he's eating now, because I don't want to drop another two-weeks' pay at the vet's office.

What would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

I would stick with the senior. I am just too "what if" when it comes to senior health. If he is doing well I would stick with what you're doing. If the senior is that much pricier maybe look for a non senior food with the same protein ratio?

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM

That is weird usually with seniors foods I notice that the protein is a touch higher and the fat much lower as well the fiber is higher. I always thought the slight raise in protein and lowering of fat made sense because seniors dogs usually have trouble maintaining muscle mass. I guess not all company's look at senior foods the same.

But yes I would stick with what you have switched him to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

@ Clyde...I think there is a line of thinking that with arthritis and those problems higher protein is a good thing. However if there is an underlying liver problem (or just age related slowing) it can worsen those problems as it is harder to filter the excess out. So I think like so many things it would depend on the individual dog.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

IMHO if it seems to be working I'd continue to use it!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Knighted Member

My vet recommended the lower protein version of the food we use for Heidi, now that she is a senior. She seems to be doing well on it (but she was also doing well on the higher protein kind too). I would stick with what you are doing now since it seems to be working.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

While I agree about not believing in senior, lite, ect foods.

With dog that has had issues and is now doing well (ESPECIALLY a senior.), I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Holly Bear (Pom - Poo here for hospice care) is on freaking Merrick canned food. Most days she eats 2x a day.
If I heat it, it smells like human food.
And I'll be the 1st to say that I hate giving dogs canned food. But...it makes her happy so she gets it.
Our seniors are on borrowed time anyway, may as well enjoy life while they still can.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

I've found that my senior dogs actually needed to go on higher protein foods to keep from losing weight and muscle mass as they got older.

If you do want to switch foods, this website has some good info on liver problems in dogs, including dietary information:
DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I've found that my senior dogs actually needed to go on higher protein foods to keep from losing weight and muscle mass as they got older.
I definitely agree with this, which is part of why I was so hesitant to feed a low fat/low protein food. I do think his body composition has changed for the worse by a little bit, but whether that's due to the diet change or the decreased activity level due to the Texas Monsoon season is up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
If you do want to switch foods, this website has some good info on liver problems in dogs, including dietary information:
DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs
Thanks, there's some good information there.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page