Back legs tilting inward - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Back legs tilting inward

OK....so Kaos has been doing very well on his new pain meds. For those who don't know he has severe bilateral knee arthritis. He has also developed arthritis in his spine and at the last visit, she sensed some neurological problems, based on 2 failed front paw flip failures. So I talked to the vet last week, told her he was doing well, but that I had noticed when standing, one of his back legs tilted inward. She said her first guess would be that maybe he had just learned to redistribute weight by doing that and easing pain in his joints. Sounded reasonable, as someone who has two herniated discs, I often shift my weight to alleviate back pain.
So the last few days I have noticed both his back legs tilt inward when standing, almost to the point of touching.
As I said he is acting like he isn't in pain, everything else is normal or better than it has been. Could this just be a sign of the arthritis in his spine, or something else?
Our vet isn't in the office until tomorrow, and I will be talking with her, as she calls weekly to check on him....but I wanted to reach out to all of you if you had any thoughts?? Thank you.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I keep trying to get a picture to better explain it...whenever I walk up behind him, he turns to face me. UGH

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Sounds like more neurological to me. Is it as if he's sinking down or weakening back there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

No, it seems more like instead of going straight down from his body they angle in.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

The picture I see in my head it seems like a weakness response?
My Dachshund came to us paralyzed (spinal injury) and he's regained the use of his legs but the muscle weakness that resulted from the paralyzation caused his knees to do that.

Last edited by msvette2u; 02-06-2012 at 10:13 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That's what I was thinking....maybe muscle loss from lower exercise due to arthritis has just caused them to "fold" in

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Neuro issue will cause muscle loss, in fact I believe more quickly than arthritis :-\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page