Zappa and pain meds and hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Zappa and pain meds and hips

So, Zappa went to the vet again today. I was aiming for a 3 lb weight loss and we went over by a few. He was at 76 lbs today, I wanted him at 78 to help his hips. When he looses too much, he just gets way too thin too fast. So anyway, we are going for a 2 lb weight gain now.

Well, the vet and I were going over pain meds today. Neither one of us wanted to try Rimadyl(sp) because of his GI issues and back in April/May his lipase was through the roof. So, we decided together on aspirin. The vet wants him to have 406mg (1 regular strength, 1 baby) 2X a day. Does this sound OK?

We are trying to hold him off on a replacement until we move to Washington. I want to be able to stay consistent with 1 surgeon, 1 rehab.

Does anyone have any recommendations on natural pain relievers?

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Zappa and pain meds and hips

BTE responded really well to chiropractic & accupuncture - You might want to look for one of those practitioners. I think licorice or anise tincture is supposed to help, too. BUT be very cautious mixing your pain relievers or other supplements without checking with your vet first.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am interested in chiro but I would feel better if he had a better activity level so I will probably wait until after he gets his replacement and is through with his rehab. My vet here is doing his referral to WSU before we leave so Zappa doesn't have to go through all the pokes and prods and examinations after we have to find a new primary vet.
Right now he is on Adequan injections weekly and gets fish oil/vit e added to his meals. We will be starting the aspirin tonight with dinner.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

I have a lot of recommendations. I tried Ascriptin and it did NOTHING for Chama.

The two natural pain relievers that worked best for her (and have been working for friends' dogs too) are:

Only Natural Pet Get Up and Go

Tasha's Herbspirin

I used these in addition to a loading dose of Cetyl-M, a double dose of Springtime Inc's Longevity and 2000mg/day of Ester C.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, yeah. I forgot to add he is getting glucosamine/condroitin.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

My vet doesn't like Rimadyl. He actually feels the analgesics in the opiate category are safer because they've been around for centuries and in a way are natural, being derived from the poppy plant. In addition, they work better and there's no risk of abuse when they're being used on an animal. For later in life or end-stage illnesses, definitely. They've had a lot of pets with bad reactions to Rimadyl and hardly any with opiates.

-Jackie

PS- The vet DOES have to be able to trust that the owner really is giving it to their pet and not selling it or taking it themselves, but I think that would be a pretty sick individual to watch their pet suffer just so that they could get high.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, there are probably ALOT of sick people out there. We are going to try the aspirin for now and see how that works.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Elite Member

Hmm...I wonder if the vets could eliminate that possibility by doing random drug screens on the pet, making sure the pet tests positive for opiates? (Charged to the owner's account, of course) No loss of profit for the vets, and much less risk of the owner abusing the pet's drugs.

-Jackie
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Not a bad idea Jackie. My biggest worry would be that my 1y/o "kitten" would get into them. She was given some narcotic pain med after her spay surgery that had her swinging on the cat tree by her rear legs. We, ummm, kinda threw the rest of the med out and refused to give her anymore drugs after that.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Opiates don't work as antiinflammatories, do they? It's a different kind of pain relief too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page