Not sure where to find working dogs here~info? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Not sure where to find working dogs here~info?

Hello, I am searching for more info on search and rescue for GSD's. I am higly interested in working my dog when he is of age,and would like to know as much as possible to get him going in the right direction. Any help would be great!
I am new to this,I have never worked a GSD and want to suck up as much information as I can.

Thank and have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Not sure where to find working dogs here~info?

You would want to search for SAR clubs in your area and contact them. I talked to someone from our local SAR club last weekend. He said to join their club I would first start coming on my own, just to learn how to use radios, how the humans work in the field, etc. Then they would evaluate my puppy and I could start bringing him. They have a certain amount of training sessions and meetings you are required to attend. Each club will probably be a bit different.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Liesje, Thank you for the great info. I will start searching today,I am sure there must be something by minneapolis.Good luck to you and your puppy as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Try http://www.minnsarda.com that would be the State Search and Rescue Association for Minnesota. They can hook you up.

Taylor

Dogs have a lot to communicate to a person who is willing to listen- Susan Butcher
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Don't take offense if there is a wait before you can train a dog etc - depends on how well staffed the current team is.

I know we just discussed limiting our team to a few new flankers with no dogs until a new influx of dogs is closer to operational. It is just a matter of ensuring the best training quality for folks who have already proven a commitment.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page