Search for a SAR pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Search for a SAR pup

As you know I just lost my partner. I need a new start and direction.

I am on the lookout for a new prospect. Prefer a male, black or super dark sable dog with excellent drive and stability and even better health and pedigree breeding.

I will be certifying him in Woodland SAR both live and cadaver. He will also certify in water cadaver. If he is good enough he may even go as far as urban disaster cadaver IF I can find that caliber of dog.

If you know of any one that has pups or an upcoming litter please let me know. I AM IN NO HURRY. I am willing to wait for the right dog to become available.

Thanks, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Re: Search for a SAR pup

I PM'd you

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have heard very good things about Eurosport K9

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I am awaiting an email reply from Europsport..

I also have been talking to Someone that has a dog from them and they love them. No written guarantee and a few minor details has me weary. But that is just the skeptic in me.

Marcia Koenig said there is a litter due out a breeder near me that is the mother to one of her dogs. She said these should be great dogs.

Then there is the idea of going LAB. But some have said they don't see them doing great or out perform a good Shepherd.

Then the last thing in the mix is I might go Dutch this time around instead a Czech as I did with my last dog.

One thing for sure I will not just jump on the first dog available.. I will wait for the right dog to come.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Crowned Member

Let me suggest NO to a pup especially GSDs. If you are going to train using retrieve drive especially. You cannot beat a good lab for scent work. You rarely see GSDs as straight scent dogs in law enforcment and military. I import and raise Dutchies and Mals and they are great, but,again for straight scent work ,labs,springers, goldens are the way to go. Too difficult to find the drive in GSDs. Get a young adult if you can. Pups are a crap shoot because genetics are not a sure thing. Just because the parents are nice there is NO guarantee that the pups will have the drive necessary.
If someone will not give a written health/hip gurarantee, RUN
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Knighted Member

Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation has placed several unsuitable guides in search and rescue,as well as Ct state police. They have done very well. If you're interested, they are located in Bloomfield,Ct, and you can contact them at http://www.fidelco.org.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Have you considered registering with NASAR (if you haven't already)? There are breeder classifieds with breeders offering a tested pup or young adult and some private owners/trainers offering tested or initially trained young adult dogs to certified and qualified handlers.

I know. I placed a "nose that never stops working" Labrador Retriever from a breeder friend of mine into a SAR handler's home in Virginia. The handler sends the breeder updates at least once a month. Kind of a "Where are they now?" thing.

Not too long ago, there was a woman in upstate NY who had a floppy-eared German Shepherd that was already trained on trailing and obedience work that she was giving away to a good home. I can try to find the dog's info if you'd like. He was a neutered rescue with a working nose to die for.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

- PICS NOW UP!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think a young adult is another good option to consider.

Grim was on the small side and really does not have the kind of fight drive the police were looking for in a dual purpose dog, but he has done very well for me. Plus I was able to get him with hip, elbow, and back x-rays and solid health clearances for a good price. If I did not take him, a retired K9 officer told me he would take him in a heartbeat.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to those that have offered help in locating a pup/dog.

Here is an update...

I have failed out 29 dogs/pups so far. Most of them where dogs already started or shelter dogs. Being an X Military trainer I know exactly what I am looking for and will not settle until I find the right dog. There are two dogs that are on my watch list as they come into who they are going to be.

But I am also watching two pups out of a breeding I have found that have the right stuff to make a ago of things.

I will keep you all informed at just what comes into the program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page