K-9 SAR Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

K-9 SAR Questions

Hi...I've read through some of the threads in this section and will read more.

I was hoping to start training with Myrika but she is not a candidate due to her hip dysplasia. My interest in K-9 SAR was peaked about 6 or 7 years ago, and because I waited too long to pursue this my two Goldens are both considered too old to start training (one is 7, the other just under 6). Myrika turned 2 in June and really she is on the high end of the age that would be considered by the group in my area.

Anyway, although I'm really heartbroken about not being able to do this with Myrika or my other dogs, it gives me time to prepare. I am reading 'Intro to SAR' and have ordered 3 other books (map & compass, scenting, SAR dogs) that the local group tests on, just to be considered for training. The group is regional, works with law enforcement (mostly NH & Maine) and has an excellent reputation with law enforcement for their work, skill, and professionalism.

I live in an area where there is a lot available to me for courses, for gathering and honing of skills and knowledge. I've got a friend that is an instructor for professional wilderness rescue training (I think for either AMC or SOLO), and one that is a rescue jumper/swimmer for the Coast Guard...for more brain picking.

It was suggested for me to bushwhack a mile during the day and then also at night. I'm also going to see if I can be a victim for this local group. I know there's years of experience on this board and wondering what else that can be recommended to me.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: K-9 SAR Questions

Definitely volunteer to go missing for the local team. I feel strongly that is the ONE thing where you can learn SO much more than you ever could in a book. I would, however, recommend taking a book, perhaps some snacks with you if you are going to be "lost" for a while. When you are not "lost" walk with as many experienced handlers as you can. Watch how they and their dogs work. Learn to read the subtle body language of each dog. Ask questions and LOTS of them, although you would want to ask another team member that is walking with you and allow the handler to do their job with as few distractions as possible.

Volunteer with this team as much as possible so you have an idea of what to expect to know if this IS something that you want to do with your own dog or help them out when it is convenient for you. There are SOOO many people that go out all gung ho and "I DEFINITELY want to do this" then they find out just HOW time consuming and expensive that it can be and slowly they just \kind of fade away.

I wish I was still in SAR I miss *parts* it horribly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you! GREAT suggestions and input.

I do realize the time commitment, as well as the financial. That's one of the reasons I've had long conversations with my hubby and have asked him to read through all of the documented requirements, etc. I will need his full support to do this. We don't have any children...or ailing parents to worry about at this point.

It's going to be a while before I actually submit an application, etc. I've got my current three dogs to care for which take up most of my time - anything else that would require such a time & energy commitment would need to involve them. So, I may be looking at a few years or more before any team training (if they even accept me). In the meantime, this waiting period gives me plenty of time to consume as much info as possible.

I wasn't planning on doing the puppy thing again. Have done it enough but I will have to, if this is something I am serious about.

I hear you loud & clear...I do definitely think this is a fit for me. But I am also realistic enough to know that there are aspects of K-9 SAR that I'm just not aware enough of to make a certain decision. Reality checks are sure to follow, lol.

Any experiences you're willing to share, or other suggestions? ...I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 PM

Actually when the time comes, an "older", thoroughly tested rescue or breeder hold back dog might be a better option than a pup would be. That way before you adopt/buy you will have an older dog that CAN be thoroughly evaluated AND you can have hip, elbows, back/shoulder xrays to ensure the physical soundness of the dog. You can look for a 9 - 18 month old dog, perhaps a "washed out" police or military dog that has the drive for search but maybe washed out because of the protection aspects. Just make sure to have someone very knowledgable do the testing to ensure the dog will have everything needed for a working dog including health, drive and temperament. A 9-18 month old will give you a MUCH clearer picture than a 7-10 week old pup will.

You will want to spend as much possible time training with the team BEFORE you even have a dog. Most teams will allow you to join and be ground support or they need people at base to help out in other aspects. If you do join the team you can do all of your non-dog related certifications before you even have a dog. It will allow you a LOT of time to learn and give your full attention to whatever courses they require. It will give you time to get to know the team, learn about their dogs, learn about scent, learn about weather and how it affect scent, learn about the "lay of the land" and how THAT affects scent and learn about maps, compasses, packs, survival, first aid, cpr, shelter... I would also strongly recommend taking a K9 first aid and cpr class. Some teams require it but not all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Knighted Member

I wish you the very best with this. It sounds like you are doing all of the ground work. As for an older pup/dog it is a great way to go, my area search dog was a rescue. I got her at over a year old and her foster home thought she was a little neurotic because all she wanted was attention and her tennis ball....all the time!!! Wow, what a dog!!! She certified a little over a year later and at almost 7 she is still the best area search dog on our unit (not due to me she was just a natural and really...that good). Our units other top area search dog (and dual use dog with HRD) was returned to the breeder (our unit commander) at over 3 years old. He is 9 now and still working.

As to the SAR unit not wanting you to volunteer to be a subject and also to learn from them and how to be a flanker....are you kidding? Most units will kill for a willing victim and are happy to teach. You will learn so much before you start your own dog.

A couple of good books are Scent and the Scenting dog, and Search and Rescue, Training the k9 hero.

Again good luck to you.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks to you both for letting me know I've got other options. I was under the impression that I needed to get a puppy. A 9 - 18 month old sounds much better to me.

And, thanks for all the recommendations, experiences and insights - they are invaluable to me. I'll keep you posted as I progress.

I've got a note into the unit in regard to volunteering to be lost for them.

My books came yesterday; Scent and the Scenting dog, and Search and Rescue, Training the k9 hero. These are the ones that the unit tests on at screening day (along with Intro to Search & Rescue). Glad to know that they are exactly the ones recommended here, too!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Amaruq
I wish I was still in SAR I miss *parts* it horribly!
Do you mind sharing the parts you miss, as well as the parts you don't?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM

I miss the trudging in the woods, fields, water. I miss watching my dogs learn and work out problems on their own. I miss watching their confidence and determination grow with each track. I miss being on the real searches and seeing all of our hard work pay off. I miss the demo's and seeing my guys adapting to the age group; schmoozing with the folks at the Sr. Center; playing tug with an entire elementary class and winning and then allowing them to win one too; and trying to sneek snacks (and kisses) from the Girl Scouts.

I don't miss the bickering, backstabbing and gossiping from other "teammates".

Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you for sharing...I would feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Amaruq... I would also strongly recommend taking a K9 first aid and cpr class. Some teams require it but not all.
A few years back I took a day's course (k-9 first aid and cpr) with The Red Cross. I was not impressed...and let them know that in a respectful manner.

Are there other recommended organizations that run this course?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you have the money, I have heard K9Down is excellent

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page