Anthony case- Discovery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Anthony case- Discovery

For those that have been following the Anthony case in Florida, the defense has filed a motion. Last night this was addressed on Greta/Fox News. Folks who handle cadaver dogs need to follow this because this is am example of what you can face. Below are some things to take note of as a handler. This is a prime example of some of the things that I have been preaching about. What is happening is that we have had to deal with articulating everything about our Narcotic dogs for years. All of the tactics,case law etc is applicable to HRD dogs and now that the dogs are starting to be used in these high profile cases,get ready.
First of all,folks keep accurate,up to date training records. NO dog is 100% and your records had better not reflect that. When your dog misses something, false alerts,whatever, note that in the records and follow with what you did to address the problem. The courts have held that 54% accuracy is acceptable.
PROOF off of everything imaginable and put that in your records.
Lose the term "showed interest" . The dog alerts or he does not. That term will get you into trouble.
Keep accurate records of scenarios in seminars that you attend. Those of you who attend mine receive training records at the end with weights and descriptions of aids. THIS is why.
DO NOT allow anyone giving a seminar to video your dog. NO video. If you video to help handlers, use it and delete it. THAT video can be obtained. Problem is that some folks turn to the dark side and become "expert" witnesses for the defense for $$$$. DO not attend seminars of those who do this. I certify dogs in cadaver,narcotics, explosive detection and patrol. I have certified hundreds and have instructed in seminars for 20 years. Think of what I have seen dogs do that could damage credibility of an alert. THAT is why you run from expert witnesses for the defense and allow no one to video.
Certify your dog with an organization whose standards have held up in court. This in- house stuff is easily impeached. A lot of us certify with more than one police org. A standard is only as credible as the org and the official administering it. They do not even try to impeach our standards any more because of the history. They move on to something else.
They were questioning residual, types and amounts of aids. etc. Prepare yourself for court. A good defense attorney can have you drooling,trust me
With regard to proofing. The Anthony's are claiming that the odor in the trunk of the car was a "dead" pizza. PROOF off of food folks and rotten meat as well as the animal remains. Put that in your training records. Whenever the results come in from the trunk,this will be interesting.. See how one alert can be very important. Remember, our dogs are trained to locate the ODOR of human remains, NOT human remains. The odor of covers the residual aspect of things.
Folks should really follow this story as it unfolds. It is a lesson. I have spent 8 hrs on a stand before with one break ,after working midnights. Welcome to my world...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Anthony case- Discovery

Here is what I posted on a HRD dog list. Wanted to share here as well.This is cut and pasted from an article. I am going to throw some stuff out there to ponder.....

The Anthony's Backyard: Involved a tip that Casey Anthony borrowed a shovel from a neighbor. Two cadaver dogs pointed to the smell of decomposition near Caylee's playhouse.

>>>>>Remember what I said about my dog is trained to locate the ODOR of HR. This is why. Residual. If you say my dog is trained to find HR, bend over....>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>

Casey Anthony's Car: Detectives reported a different dog alerted to the same strong smell in the trunk after the white Pontiac had been abandoned in a parking lot.

"They have a hypothesis that the child may have somehow passed away," Dr. Richard Weinblatt told Eyewitness News.

Weinblatt, a former police chief and manager of Seminole Community College's Criminal Justice Program, said detectives must consider why there was evidence of a body in the car and at the home.

<>>>>>>> Dog alert just became pretty important Get ready for impeachment and an attack on the credibility of the dog teams>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>

"The body could've been placed there and a person or persons could've changed their mind and decided to move the body elsewhere," he said.

Anthony's family insisted there was another reason for the smell.

"There was a bag of pizza for 12 days in a car full of maggots," Casey's mother Cynthia Anthony told reporters while leaving her daughter's bond hearing Tuesday.

>>>>>>>>> Whoa daddy I hope those handlers have proofed off of this kind of thing. If the forensics back them up, Good job,if not.........>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>

"Do you think you would mistake the smell of a body for trash?" WFTV reporter Eric Rasmussen asked Weinblatt.

"Absolutely not. It's very, very distinctive," he said.

Weinblatt says other evidence from the car could solidify the case investigators are building.

"They say they found hair, they found a stain and they found dirt. What are they doing with that evidence? They have to process it. Where did the dirt come from? Does it match soil samples they found in the back yard?" he said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>.Hair, dirt and a stain. Ok remember the hair discussion? Good grief, I have so much of my own shed hair in my Suburban it is not funny. Ok, dog handler, do you routinely train on nothing but hair? Yes counselor. So what you are saying is that the dog may have alerted strictly because of the presence of human hair and NOT the odor of decomp? Um,,er, yes sir. SO, there well may NOT have been the odor of decomp HR in that trunk? Um,er, yes sir. Do you routinely train as you work? DO you set up scenarios like this search? Do you put rotten meat,and food in the trunk of a car and PROOF your dog off of it? ( IF the answer is NO, bend over as it is about to get ugly) NO? so you do NOT set up training like this? SO, you have not proofed off of rotten foods, meat, maggots etc? NO? SO, there is a possibility that the dog false alerted on this? Uh,....... drool.Uh..... ( Folks if you have not proofed off of something,jurors will consider the possibility that it was a false. Trust me. Much better to say, yes sir,I routinely proof my dog off of this sort of a possibility.)
Ok,dirt. How many folks use "grave dirt". How many of you routinely proof off of just fresh dirt? Same thing as above. Dog handler, do you train on dirt containing the odor of HR? Yes? Do you routinely proof off of dirt? Proof off of dirt that contains the odor of a dead animal?
These defense attorneys will study and find folks in our world to advise them. This is how it works...

See how this can go? It can get really ugly up there on that stand........

Renee Utley
Port Authority Police
Port of Beaumont
Certifying official,President 2005
http://www.nndda.org
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM

This is increadibly interesting to read. Of course living close by, I have been following the story closely, but it is so interesting to read and learn about if from the POV of the working dogs and their handlers.

Thanks for sharing!

Kristin

GSD's:
Lily 10/31/07
Thor 10/27/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rambo 7/27/09 - 2/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and the kitties, Oreo & Nikko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM

It is difficult to explain to someone what it is like to be on a stand until you are on the stand. I can't believe how accurate you were and how much help your example is. I don't work with dogs but I have been on the stand for custody battles as a Therapist and it is no picinic. The last time I struggled for so many accurate answers not to make myself look like an idiot was.. well... everyday with a 2 1/2 year old LOL.

CJ'S Mom
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

You are right. A good defense attorney can really damage the credibility of a dog's alert. Can get very uncomfortable and lonely on that chair...,..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

I watched the K-9 handler testify at the bond hearing....he seemed very experienced and confident.
thanks, LadyLaw, this is very interesting.
Actually, I think it was one K-9 dog that searched the car. It was 2 they brought in to search the backyard.

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I thought they had 2 in the backyard,but was not sure about the car. Did they ask anything about the dog's cerifications or anything at the bond hearing. I like to keep track of things like that
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

I remembered they asked him ALOT of questions, what stood out in my mind was how confident he seemed in his dogs abilities.
And I do not think he will cave under pressure if he is on the stand.
I will try to find you the link.

From what I read, they brought in a 2nd dog to the backyard because of some confusion with the first.....

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Knighted Member

LadyLaw, as an active HRD handler I thought your post was excellent. As a handler certified by NASAR and the NNDDA but only having attended NASAR seminars (who have been some very good instructors, I am not critisizing them by any means) I think that all HRD handlers should be required to take more law inforcement hosted seminars. Crossing over the two worlds of "rescue" and "recovery" a handler should be prepared to face the stand and testify. Most of us proof on all kinds of animal bones, scat ect. and other sources occuring in the more natural enviroment but it had not occurred to me to proof of the more human type waste, such as the rotten pizzas.

That will change this week. I think Neko and I will be searching our garbage to start. And as soon as I recover from my ankle reconstruction surgery later this month, I will be looking for a NNDDA or other more law enforcement directed seminar.

Again thank you for posting.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

sources occuring in the more natural enviroment but it had not occurred to me to proof of the more human type waste, such as the rotten pizzas.

We find holes in our training from time to time. I am training a bomb dog right now. Took him in to search a hotel room and oops,doggie had never seen a mirror. He was fascinated. What he really liked was the one in the bathroom. Kept jumping up and down to see the doggie pop up over the sink. Nice. Got over that and went to work.
That rotten hamburger,veges, food in general can smell REALLY funky. If that is the anomaly,and dog has not been proofed,can really be a problem. So much out there to proof off of.
Planning a seminar/cer the first of Sept. Waiting for the Gulf to stop generating "things"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page