Anthony case- Discovery - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Anthony case- Discovery

Sorry I spent an hr doing search, theyve taken the link down for the testimony but the Cadaver dogs name was K9 Gerus...although I cant seem to find any credentials, imfo on him

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thanks for the excellent post. Things you said I would have possibly blown off a few years ago make sense to me these days.

54%? wow. I know SWGDOG is proposing 80% first cert and 85% thereafter. NAPWDA is 92% and I think the others are all above 90%

From the searches I have been on for cadaver I would say the unusual is more the norm than the usual.another reason you need a dog that gets over new experiences rapidly. Not so many bodies seem to be in pristine woods - I have to appreciate LE for the kinds of environments they must face on a daily basis - apalling how some folks live.

I would love to hear your take on the necessary fields for training records becuse they do wind up in court - mine have trimmed down greatly from when I started - mainly got rid of a bunch of "weather" details because I am more concerned about proofing agents, negative time, etc. and I understand anything you put in a training record is "fair game" they can use to trip you up.

e.g., it may be interesting how certain cloud types can reflect atmospheric conditions that impact scent distribution patterns but if you have it in your log and cannot articulate the theory behind it, they may just trip you up on it and make you look stupid.

For my alert/false alert rates I ONLY use unknown problems to do the stats and am using the SWGDOG formulas

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What are you using with regard to SWGDOG?

The main thing on training records is to acknowledge that no dog is 100%. When the dog has an issue,note it on the records and also articulate as to what you did to address the issue. Proofing is very very important. Emphasis on the fact that the dog is proofing off of things NOT target odor. Also, train as you work,work as you train. In other words, set up realistic scenarios that reflect the deployments in the area. Everything you can think of and set up training scenarios or that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was using the formula in draft SC2 - it is not out for comment now but I am keeping my eyes on it because I have the information to apply if they change the formula

The alert rate was unknown problems = #correct alerts/#unknowns
The false alert rate was unknown problems #alerts/#search areas
both values expressed as a percentage

Right now I am running 93% alert rate, 2% false alert rate and do track ALL distractors and we do scenario based training but coming up with our good scenarios grows based on what we see in searches - some are pretty hard to set up as you know.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

SWGDOG is going to have a "do over" on their cadaver dog standards.... They way they were written, they were not standards,but suggestions. Would not hold up in court. And does anyone know exactly how one puts out a training aid of blood in water??
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

SC2 was a general detection standard I think. Since I can't see it I can't recall. Even so, I don't think numbers tell it all because one can be highly reliable on easy problems. Set out something big with a big scent pool for several days and that can be a pretty hard problem.

We had a lot of comments/concerns about the cadaver standards.

I don't know how you would use blood in water - only way I can see is bloody gauze in a scent pump because the blood would all wash away in no time.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I know. I was being funny about the blood. Tells you how silly those "standards" were and how little research was put into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page