ISAR? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

ISAR?

Iím thinking about taking Introduction to Search and Rescue (ISAR) through NASAR. Iím not a member of a team. Iíve volunteered to hide a few times but Iím afraid to make the commitment. Would that be a good/fun course to take to get a good intensive feel for what it takes and what I need to learn? Even if I never join a team I think it would be fun. Has anyone ever taken this course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Re: ISAR?

I think ISAR would be a good introduction - never took it - took FUNSAR years ago which was a two weekend course with a night search and "survival" camp-out at the end. The course is only as good as the instructor you get.

I think FUNSAR would give you a better feel but ISAR won't hurt. I think ISAR is all classroom and FUNSAR is more hands-on.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

I am taking the funsar course starting this weekend. I will let you know if it is fun!! I always planned on the funsar course because if you complete and pass, you are a SARTECH II as opposed to the III. I figure, if I am going to do the hours and pay the money, I may as well have a higher 'ranking'.

Of course, ISAR is only 16 hrs and I assume cheaper than the 48hr funsar course! The 2 weekends for the funsar course also include Fri evening--so it is a big chunk of time.

Jennifer and Griffin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You are fortunate to be able to take the SAR II Certification test at the end of the FUNSAR weekend. That is not typical protocol, but I see they are doing it at the class in NJ

Normally you have to wait for the test to become available and take it then, sometimes months later.

You do not get SAR II for completing and passing FUNSAR. You get SAR III for completion of FUNSAR and passing the written exam. You get SAR II for passing the written and practical examination.

FUNSAR provides you with the skillset to pass the SAR II practical examinations. Normally, those take a full day or two days in themselves to complete.

So you have everything for your pack? That is a biggie $$$.

Here's your hints.

Route Search -- try to get yourself into the position to be the "guide" the further you are away from the guide the more the errors of the guide compound and you may fail because the guide got off course. I failed first time as an inner person because my guide who also failed got way off course, got 80% POD 2nd time as guide.

Area Search -- Stand at point shoot bearing walk to it and sink your tracking stick in the ground. Work a grid back to your starting point then grid back to your walking stick and repeat until you are done. Works like a charm - they may not teach that in class - got 90% POD.

Land Nav -- Make sure you get a tally step in the terrain you will be testing. make sure you are skilled at navigating around obstacles and not losing your distance - be prepared for some doozies .

You do have this, correct? It is on the NASAR site - make sure it is current ( I had to buy mine back in 1999 and it was not cheap)

http://www.nasar.org/nasar/downloads...I_02,_2003.pdf

(I took the test the year they added carabiners and prusiks and zip ties and several of use went scrambling to get the stuff - most of my SAR II pack is in a box in the truck - never comes out on a search )

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote: You do not get SAR II for completing and passing FUNSAR. You get SAR III for completion of FUNSAR and passing the written exam. You get SAR II for passing the written and practical examination.
Yeah, that's what I meant--just didnt use enough words to clarify I dont see the point of paying for the course, taking the time for the course and not taking the practical. I am glad I can get it out of the way. I hope I pass.....

Thanks a lot for the hints--I will take them to heart !!!

Jennifer and Griffin

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think if you read the certification requirements before you go and know what is expected and have everything for your pack you should be fine. They stick to the objectives

I imagine some things have changed in the class (I hear some definitions, of course GPS has been added*) since I took it.

The land nav seems to be the most difficult for most but I found it pretty easy - one of my teammates, however,took it at the Charlotte Fire Acadamy and had to navigate through a swamp and was in water for part of it.

When I took the test, my problem was only with the playing cards (route and area search) as i had zero practice beforehand, had a bad guide, and did not know the tracking stick trick. You keep finding cards if you get offcourse but they are someone else's cards and don't count

Lenny, online for free are the NIMs courses (minimum = 100,200,&700) that many states are also adopting as prerequisites for local searchers. You can take them for free at your liesure and walk into the ISAR/FUNSAR with a better foundation for incindent command system. (Just google National Incident Management System and you can dig through to find the online courses)

**when I got my SAR II, GPS was still under selective availabilty and signals were jammed by the govt so it was not so reliable and the units were not so good -- WAAS and SIRF Star chips have gone a long way in improving them.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
I'll take a look at National Incident Management System. I was wondering if the ISAR required any prior knowledge,training or equipment. I am starting from ground zero except for some basic understanding of SAR.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

ISAR (and FUNSAR) are ground zero You re good!

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Knighted Member

Hey just to add, when you take the land nav. beware of the talkers! As you are doing your pace counts and compass work its a [email protected]#%* when someone say's hey to you as they cross your path and you loose count. Also stinks when your walking stick (colapsable are best) catches on a tree limb while hanging from your pack and slings you backwards to land in the forest like a turtle!!! Seriously its a challenge but what you will learn will serve you well when you join a unit and go out on missions. I am with Nancy though my 72 hour test pack is still in my basement as we speak still packed up in the event that I do my next level k9 certification in area search. Costs a lot of money and most of the stuff you will not use on any mission. My smaller backpack and my outward hound fanny pack are used with just about every mission. Good luck and have fun.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

made me laugh.

Several of us on my team took and passed the canine sartech written and pack test but our water cadaver test got cancelled by a thunderstorm ........ all this nasar political nonsense happened, and we never got to take the practical examination and now the year is past......... [so we are working on getting ready for the NAPWDA test since it is pretty comprehensive]

........anyway..........one of my teammates figured out a claxton fruitcake meets the caloric requirements of the pack. it would last forever in your basement. we figured you could use it to block car wheels, hammer in tent posts, etc etc

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page