IPWDA SAR Land Cert - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

My boat cert is out of date and I am looking for a new one............we are buying a newer better boat.........there is still a call for it but less as side scan has greatly improved. It also takes up a ton of time on a certification test day and, because material has to be in the water, each time a dog runs the problem odor is spread all over the place, washes over the gunnels and into the boat, and heaven forbid if a dog goes in and shakes off........ so dog #1 gets a much much easier challenge than dog #6

Similar issue with shoreline. We always tell people do NOT reward your dog AT SOURCE during a test. Get away. Wet dog will be carrying odor in that coat.

So is that what IPWDA still does? (the tests..... I know they have an obedience and slight agility component and NAPWDA also has the obedience component). Have not see the IPWDA standards since SWGDOG came along......Is IPWDA land a pre requisite to IPWDA water?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
My boat cert is out of date and I am looking for a new one............we are buying a newer better boat.........there is still a call for it but less as side scan has greatly improved. It also takes up a ton of time on a certification test day and, because material has to be in the water, each time a dog runs the problem odor is spread all over the place, washes over the gunnels and into the boat, and heaven forbid if a dog goes in and shakes off........ so dog #1 gets a much much easier challenge than dog #6

Similar issue with shoreline. We always tell people do NOT reward your dog AT SOURCE during a test. Get away. Wet dog will be carrying odor in that coat.

So is that what IPWDA still does? (the tests..... I know they have an obedience and slight agility component and NAPWDA also has the obedience component). Have not see the IPWDA standards since SWGDOG came along......Is IPWDA land a pre requisite to IPWDA water?
I'm not 100% positive but I was not able to find any prereq for water certs. From my understanding you could try certifying specifically on water without messing with the other disciplines. The pre-requisites, which apply to all certs, are the following:

1. The canine must be at least 18 months of age at the time of certification
testing.
2. The canine must be in good health and proof of vaccinations provided at
the time of testing.
3. The canine must be of sound physical structure and temperament.
4. The canine must be of adequate strength and size to negotiate the terrain.
5. The canine must be friendly and well mannered.
6. The handler must produce written training records in the discipline that
they are testing.
7. The handler, at the time of certification testing, should be in good health
and of sound physical structure.
8. The handler must produce proof of certification in basic First Aid or
“higher” medical training.
9. The handler must produce proof of certification in CPR.
10. The handler must produce written documentation of land
navigation/orienteering training.
11. The handler must produce written documentation of having completed IS100 “Introduction to Incident Command System” and IS-700 “National
Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction”.
12. The handler must produce written documentation of having completed an
awareness course in “Crime Scene Preservation”.
13. The handler must pass written testing with a score of 80% in the area in
which they will certify.
14. Handlers having taken and passed the written test are not required to take
it for a re-certification.
15. The canine and handler must pass the SAR OBEDIENCE CONTROL
EVALUATION prior to testing in any discipline. **
** This does not apply to a canine testing in on lead trailing or Type I, Type II
car2ner likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sounds a lot like the NAPWDA pre-requisites but since NAPWDA grew out of USPCA and IPWDA grew out of NAPWDA it kind of makes sense............thanks

I think IPWDA is "every two years" not every "year" like NAPWDA - there is also NSDA and NASAR ..........

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I think IPWDA is "every two years" not every "year" like NAPWDA - there is also NSDA and NASAR ..........
And here I thought every two years was too soon hahah. Good thing I love it. The time and money spent is enough to turn away anyone not in it for the right reasons.
NancyJ likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

Congratulation and my deep respect for what you have achieved.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Congratulation and my deep respect for what you have achieved.
thank you!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Elite Member

I missed this post.. Nancy both my dogs are water HRD certified through IPWDA. If your current cert for land HRD is still good, then you won't have to retest for land. So then it is shoreline and boat. Nothing else. You can be within 20ft on water and within 10ft on shoreline.. Of course the MT will account for excessive winds etc...

I have to recert my dogs this year as well as the new pup..
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If your current land cert is still good? Will IPWDA accept a NAPWDA land cert? I can do "just" water with NSDA.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

I am not sure.. I would think so.. But IPWDA has two different land certs. Their crime scene cert is the more detailed. The basic land cert is one to two hides could be high, could be buried in like an acre.. So really basic and simple.. But I would think if your NAPWDA cert is still good they would honor it.

NSDA though has shoreline tied with boat.. Most certs do, which imho, is wrong.. An air scent dog and good HRD dog can/should be able to do shoreline with little issues.. Water/boat on the other hand is way more extensive due to currents, thermoclines, wind, dogs inability to move to source on its own, huge depth variances etc etc.. So that cert should be its own in my thoughts
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Graychamp, why do you think two years is to soon?

The problem even with a two year cert is that there are those that train for the test then once they pass, ease off.. This is dangerous territory.. The test is a bare minimum standard.. Once it is passed people should be training harder due to the likelihood of being called out. While there are no lives to save with HRD, ING general, there are murderers that need to be put behind bars and not have their case dismissed due to mishandling or a K9 handler not having their records to prove their training, etc... There are families needing answers and a chance to bury their loved one etc...

These comments are not directed at you specifically, just at the comment of 2yrs being to short. I don't mind 2yrs due to the fact SAR is so expensive and testing every year is a hardship, however, I respect those that do as they must keep their level of training always on the knife edge, which is what we should always be doing...
car2ner and Sabre's Mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page