Have not posted much... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Have not posted much...

..but have been keeping busy.

Tilly is doing well with trailing I am finally focused on her and hope to certify her this winter. Age, asphalt etc no problem our big one is working through massive distraction so I am backing up to fresh short trails through everything we can imagine. We figure she does well with urban settings at that is where I want to focus her.

I just moved her to a heavier harness - an elite K9 2" non restrictive web harness from a lighter ruffwear harness. We will see how that goes and am looking for a better line for winter. My light beta biothane is actually pretty easy to grip even when wet, but the small clip and winter are not getting along well and I don't think it will work with the new harness. This is what I got..LOL...may wind up in the big pile of unused dog gear. We will see......

Deluxe Nylon Tracking Harness-Elite K-9

Tilly pulls like a freight train when she is on a hot section of trail and even with anchoring my right hand on my hip it is all I can do to maintain balance.

Two suggestions for gear?

Tracking line. I am thinking of just using 8mm accessory cord or tubular webbing and do have a heavier biothane line I can play with -- The biothane does do well at not picking up briars and we go through briars. No problem with this one breaking brush if she needs to.

GLOVES! I need gloves. My 63 year old fingers absolutely freeze and get stiff but I need the friction and control and feel. I hate gloves. I hate hats. I need both.

Beau is Beau. Still going strong at 7 (will be 8 in July). We have a team policy we cannot talk about searches but he is a good dog. Hard to think he will be having his 7th NAPWDA certification test in April.

I have now lost a lot of weight and am actually at my goal weight and working on strength training. I will say to ANYONE who wants to work a trailing dog. Of all the disciplines you must be strong and fit!
Jax08, ksotto333 and Orphan Heidi like this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:25 AM

My favorite heavy duty lead line w/ snap was actually made for my large horses. Quillins will custom make a nice
leather line whatever length you want and with loop handle or without.
How do you like your harness?. I need a stronger one for a hard puller out on our hikes/trails.

https://quillin.com/lead-shanks-click-for-options/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have not had any time with the harness to tell. Will know in a couple of weeks. I do have a good connection who can make me a heavier beta biothane if I want to go that route. The other long line I have to play with is black and I want a red or yellow line. when you are in the woods it sure helps to have something your flankers can clearly see!

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

Good to hear you are healthy and doing well. Really glad Tilly is doing well and you are continuing with her training.. I have used biothane but have personally found rolled leather to be the best for me.

Rolled leather has good grip dry or wet, it is easy on the hands (as opposed to nylon which can burn a nice hole in your hand if your dog pulls hard) and actually quite easy to care for. I oil it after winter/spring and usually don't need to do so again until late fall unless having gotten wet many times and then very dry. Then it just gets stiff.. You can get them at various lengths from AMPWDA website and their lines are BEAUTIFUL. I do prefer Jeff Schettler clip for the line (a lockable caribener. The slightly heavier line for me, adds communication and feel, especially for a hard pulling dog. It doesn't tend to snag and knot around brush like a weight and tacky biothane line will... Just my thoughts..

And a huge agreement on the endurance and shape one has to be in to be an effective (and safe) SAR trailing handler... Where the dog goes we go, and odor takes no prisoners
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Lo and behold I said. Wait I think I have a leather line. I do - in a box of things I inherited from someone else. That jogged my memory. No clip I can use a carabiner or unbraid, add brass clip and rebraid. my locking carabiners are pretty heavy but I do have some of those locking stainless things for use with chain. The line is about 30 feet long - a bit longer than the 20' I am used to for SAR but if it works out that is easily remedied.

Now I have not had the issue with beta biothane snagging not one bit. And it seems to hold fine wet

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

Cool! Keep us posted on if youike it or not.. Yes some biothane are not apt to snag but I've found it is trade off between not being tacky and thus knot on brush when wet or not knot but slippery when wet.. But I usually work without gloves unless very cold.... And I have used leather for years now, so biothane may have made some huge leaps and bounds in usage 😉
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't like gloves one bit, but found some with some grip on the palm and fingers but smooth along the sides so I am experimenting with them.

A teammate figured out those nitrile exam gloves we all go through with HRD work help keep hands warm and I bought some glove liners (light cotton gloves) to put under the nitrile. One thing with being in my 60s is my hands are pretty much bone and skin and get cold easy. The tacky gloves are flexible enough I can put a hot hands on the top of the hand. This combo preserves my "line feel"

Between the cold and the briars and wet my hands get pretty torn up.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Elite Member

Lol, I know what you mean, my hands always look like some disease has hit them due to scratches, bruises punctures etc...I use the garden gloves that have a rubber palm and cloth backing but have Pilar fleece inside when it is really cold out.. Gives dexterity and grip... If it is really cold and wet/snow, I put snow gloves on which I hate, but have found a pair that has good grip, is warm but not bulky....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am still playing on gloves.........would love brands and models.......my older skin is more delicate and thin so........but that feel. With Beau doing HRD all I needed to do was be able to hang onto a toy.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Think I am going to stick with the biothane lead. Found some grippy gloves with no grip along the sides that works with me for line handling...of course just my luck I can't find more because they are great

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page