Cadaver dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cadaver dogs

When training cadaver dogs, what different type of conditions are the HR deployed in? Im asking about the condition of the remains themselves and not location like in bodies of water. Is there a consistency about hr odor regardless of condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Not sure if you are talking about training or actual missions... But I train with fresh, old, flesh/mest/juice, and bone dry and wet... Missions, you never know what you will come across (if any) and depending on many factors, odor can be obnoxious to minor,to unnoticeable for a human.. Many many factors are involved from temperature, oxygen rich environment (as opposed to buried or water), skeletal or at purification, quantities (body or parts), in an enclosed area or open, etc etc etc..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Not sure if you are talking about training or actual missions... But I train with fresh, old, flesh/mest/juice, and bone dry and wet... Missions, you never know what you will come across (if any) and depending on many factors, odor can be obnoxious to minor,to unnoticeable for a human.. Many many factors are involved from temperature, oxygen rich environment (as opposed to buried or water), skeletal or at purification, quantities (body or parts), in an enclosed area or open, etc etc etc..
I'll send a pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

A friend one asked me for my bloody tissues from when Seger broke my nose. She has no boundaries.
Nigel likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

I have been volunteering with a rescue up in the fire areas. Yesterday S&R was running dogs in the area I was in. The entire area was leveled. I was wondering what the scent the dogs were looking for as well. Some of the large animals we found were basically skeletons. I can’t even imagine what human remains would’ve looked like if anything.
Nigel likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Elite Member

Dogs are amazing and can and do discern between a I'm human, be it skeletal, meaty, or burnt.. No disrespect meant in the description, just necessary to answer question..

It is a huge devastating tragedy, and my heart goes out to the families who have suffered so.. My thanks and respect to all first responders, and volunteers who have and will dedicate untold hours (not to mention money and physical, emotional efforts) searching and bringing answers to families in need
Nigel, car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Dogs are amazing and can and do discern between a I'm human, be it skeletal, meaty, or burnt.. No disrespect meant in the description, just necessary to answer question..

It is a huge devastating tragedy, and my heart goes out to the families who have suffered so.. My thanks and respect to all first responders, and volunteers who have and will dedicate untold hours (not to mention money and physical, emotional efforts) searching and bringing answers to families in need

I know the dogs are amazing! I understand their noses, I guess for me it comes down to a training question. I’m trying not to get graphic, but I mean some of these animals had half their bodies basically creamated. I’m sure some scent is there and obviously the rest of the animal. Some we knew we were coming up on before we got their from the smell. In this case the entire block if not multiple blocks just smelled like death. It was awful. I mean I guess it’s no different than any other scent, just hard to imagine unsung burned remains and such as a training aid. It’s very needed though. Especially in this case.
Nigel likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

It does take training the dogs, but even upon introduction of cremains with an option animal cremains, both my dogs gave their fi al response on the human.. Burnt has been no different, and it has to be a long exceedingly hot fire to reduce the human body to cremains... So no, I don't know how the dogs do it, but we'll trained dogs can and do distinguish between animal and human in forms that shock and awe those who see it..
Jax08 and Nigel like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
It does take training the dogs, but even upon introduction of cremains with an option animal cremains, both my dogs gave their fi al response on the human.. Burnt has been no different, and it has to be a long exceedingly hot fire to reduce the human body to cremains... So no, I don't know how the dogs do it, but we'll trained dogs can and do distinguish between animal and human in forms that shock and awe those who see it..
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Interesting book to read
http://catwarren.com/the-book/?doing...07946777343750

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page