SAR - Getting Started - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh Keller
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By NancyJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

SAR - Getting Started

I am in the research phase for SAR. I know nothing.

My last good boy & I did Hospital / Nursing Home / School work.

I want to get started with my new Dog (when I get him/her - also researching)

Any resources would be great and super appreciated.

I live in Southeastern, MA

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Elite Member

It's a huge commitment, time and money suck and very well worth it!
Check with your County's SaR team. Perhaps you have a state organization as we do here.
Are you interested in scent specific (long line) or off leash area searching?
You'll have to go as a guest and check these things out. It's best to have a plan before you get a pup so you can start imprinting right away.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:18 PM

In for more info, I'm in the same boat. A local PD/FD wants Murph and I to volunteer to do SAR and tracking on an as needed basis because they don't have a K9 unit or the budget for one. I'm scheduled to meet with a local trainer who was a K9 Officer for 30 years and does private instruction for an evaluation, and if it goes well, he's going to train me to train Murph and work with us. I'm excited for the opportunity, but nervous because a lot depends on our performance in the field. We've been doing nose work together since he was 10 weeks, but nothing as formal as what would be required for this.
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM

one of our members has a wonderful blog about SAR.
Not only is it fun reading but there is a handy glossary of terms so that when your trainer starts talking lingo you don't feel so noobish.
http://hineni7.simplesite.com/

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member

If you want to do SAR, find a breeder that is conscious of hunt drive.
ausdland likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Keller View Post
In for more info, I'm in the same boat. A local PD/FD wants Murph and I to volunteer to do SAR and tracking on an as needed basis because they don't have a K9 unit or the budget for one. I'm scheduled to meet with a local trainer who was a K9 Officer for 30 years and does private instruction for an evaluation, and if it goes well, he's going to train me to train Murph and work with us. I'm excited for the opportunity, but nervous because a lot depends on our performance in the field. We've been doing nose work together since he was 10 weeks, but nothing as formal as what would be required for this.
Start tracking.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Elite Member

Tha KS car2ner!! 🙂

If trail g is what LE is a ski g of you, then,yes,absolutely begin Trailing.. If your pup has been doing nose work si ce 10wks,then it should be a fairly easy transition, although Trailing is very difficult (mostly for us as humans as the dog is in odor 100% of the time as opposed to HRD or air scent which nosework is).. But you will never know until you try, what your and your pupsters are capable of 🙂
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:21 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would say hold off on the dog. Find a team first. Get involved. Make sure it and everything about SAR is what you want to do before you dive in and be patient take your time.
car2ner likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I would say hold off on the dog. Find a team first. Get involved. Make sure it and everything about SAR is what you want to do before you dive in and be patient take your time.
This is spot on. I train at a facility that does both IPO and SAR. I just do IPO. But, I try and hang out with the SAR people when I can. Same TD for both groups.
Volunteer first with no dog. Get yourself some knowledge and experience being a back up. When it is time to get your dog. Let your SAR leader pick the dog out for you. A lot of people come in with a dog, work for years and never get certified. Simply because they chose the wrong dog.
SAR does look to be very rewarding. But it also looks to be very time consuming, and expensive. If it turns out to be your passion. Then good for you. You'll have a blast

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page