Small Brag in sad conditions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Small Brag in sad conditions

For those of you who are fellow sister and brothers in SAR, you know how difficult working a K9 can be for odor on land and water... Water being the more foreign substance due to not being fish

My dogs certified last fall for water HRD and over this past week, proved themselves out. Unfortunately, some teenagers thought it a good idea to jump off a freeway overpass into a flood stage river. Three got out, one did not. The river was way over flooded and known to have fallen trees and old fencing (wire) in it. Dive teams tried for 3 days to locate the body, and since the waters were quite warm (62F) and the river had a confluence not too far away into a much much larger river, there was concern the body may be missed should it 'pop up' at night or in an area not easily seen. The search was called off, but the family was friends with another professional diver who knew about myself and a teammate. So the PD handling the case was notified by the family of the situation and they reached out to our Sheriff who gave his blessing for mutual aid, and a long trip down to the area was made.

We were towed quite a ways up the river past the confluence and finally to the hwy overpass and the railroad overpass and jump off point. I off loaded with my girl (I left my boy in the car as there was little room in the boat and we had two dogs working the area already) and would work shoreline first, and my teammate would work in the boat. We would swap and see what our dogs had said afterwards. Media and family observed from a close distance. My girl was pretty quick in getting odor (I started her well above the jump off point and negative space) and entered the water and pillar 2, head pops at pillars 3 and 4 and entered into the water at 5. We exchanged positions and my teammate worked shoreline and my girl worked the boat. The river was pretty hard to work through with a trolling motor, especially with the high winds barreling through (a storm blew in a few hours later) the underpass. My girl had definitive odor and strong alerts at pillars 3 and 4, not much above, and nothing past pillar 5. My teammates dog had strong alerts at pillar 2 and 3 and spots along the shoreline, with pooling odor in reeds 50m past the overpass. We relayed the information to the divers and PD and told them where we felt the body was. We also told them where we felt he could be swept down to when he did pop up if he wasn't recovered beforehand.

The divers worked their hearts out, but they had zero visibility underwater, tons of debris to avoid, and 25ft of moving water depth. Despite excellent work on their part, they were unable to locate him that day, or 3 days later. On Sunday, the young man popped up (the family and friends kept a vigil, watching the pillars because the dogs said he was there) at 10am just below pillar 3 and was quickly and respectfully, recovered. The family can now begin their grieving process and begin to heal once he is laid to rest.

For my teammate and I, it was a somber time for the family and the reality of what they and these other kids and community, are going through. However, it was also a wonderful confirmation that our dogs are working well and doing what they have been trained to do, effectively. We are very proud of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

I got teary eyed reading this. One for the young life lost, so tragic. Two for the incredible training & how special these dogs are. Great teamwork.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:57 PM

I'm so glad you and your girl were able to help bring closure to that family.So sad and great job everyone.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

Excellent work, you deserve to be proud. It is a comfort to the victim's family to have remains to respectfully put to rest. It doesn't change anything of course, however there is no such thing as a comfort too small when it comes to these situations. As a parent the "not knowing" and the lack of closure would make the grief so much harder to get through.
Sunsilver likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Great teamwork and knowing your girl brought closure to the family and the family trusted the dogs in their alerts has to be very rewarding. The family knew with the dogs there everything was being done to locate their child - they will have peace in that. Very nice job and prayers for the family for their loss.
Findlay likes this.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you everyone!

We have seen how much it means for the family to have some part of their loved one to bury. But this particular situation was very impacting to a lot of people. The young man who lost his life was well liked, a great football player who got a full ride scholarship for his playing skills. The three other teenages had to be rescued by local fishermen that we're nearby or we would have had more deaths. They have to live with this one impulsive choice that had such tragic consequences...

The mother was so happy the dogs were there and while she had to wait a few days for confirmation, she had some peace knowing where he was until he could be recovered...and that he hadn't drifted away during the first few days of diving and somewhere along the 150 plus miles of river bank before the ocean. So it was an eye opener to how much the dogs helped in the anxiety of not knowing where her son was.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Master Member

Thank so much to you and your team for the very important work you do.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Glad you and your team were able to help this family in such a difficult ordeal.

A lot of rivers are running high, fast and will continue to do so for awhile.Our Memorial weekend hike was snowed out so to speak and all that snow is going to keep water levels up and dangerous.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Yes we had lost a friend of the family in a river rafting accident around this time of a year. The rivers were high and dangerous. They should have never went out out on tour with the river so high and fast. He was no stranger to the roaring rapids and a good swimmer. Helping people back in the raft when it flipped. He thought he could recover himself but got caught in a funnel left behind a wife and young kids. Again many prayers for the family.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That is so tragic Jenny720, I'm sorry. It is common for good swimmers and experienced water people to drown, unfortunately. Often those not in the know are safer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page