Small Brag in sad conditions - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM

tears of sadness and joy for both dogs great work!

when did u start scent training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

For these dogs, they began their trailing work at 10mos for my girl and 11mos for my boy. Imprinting HR odor a few months after that. My next pup will begin at 8weeks with imprinting HR odor and short runaway problems for trailing. Evidence work is just an offshoot of odor detection (which is trailing and HRD) and will be done after the pup has certified in trailing (although article detection will be already added) and HRD, most likely.

Hope that answers the question, lol. I type off my phone most times, and so I don't get to see all my typos nor the question or post I am responding to..
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nancy, my dogs may enter the water on shoreline, but not from the boat, although I don't like them swimming to source..just kind of wading.. maybe that was what you were referring to...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No, I thought yours jumped in from the boat from reading the post. I know some in the PNW that do and when I heard water entry.......thought you might have as well.......So many reasons not to jump in. We usually wind up working off of Carolina Skiffs dusk and dawn best and I sure don't want a dog in. Beau always wears a life vest too......I was glad yesterday when he was swimming upstream in the river. He worked hard.

Beau had his first water find in 80 feet of cold water -but - with whitecaps he was within 45 feet. Narrowed down next morning with a fresh dog and no wind (it was too late when he worked) to within 5 feet . One thing is the sooner after death,and the deeper the body the easier it seems to pinpoint..this is one time when more odor does not make it easier. For lake searches on a search that is more than a day we usually cross right angles to the wind moving downwind grids and do a "j hook" because the scent pool is so big. Also do that sometimes for land cadaver if we have a combination of high wind/large source For river you are often at the mercy of the current and sometimes just have to take the combination of shoreline and body language on the boat.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes life vests are mandatory on the boat. I know from the different lakes we train on, that the colder water does seem to help the dogs be more specific.... For this mission, we had heavy winds and warmer waters then normal for this time of year. Scent pools we're obvious but not overwhelming. More scent pools on the shoreline then from the boat. The eddies and current change around the pylons was quite obvious.

I hope your mission yesterday was successful. I was thinking about why drownings might impact you so much.. usually people are in the water doing happy things when suddenly life goes upside down on them. Suicides are usually not after or during a happy event.. neither are fun to deal with and both leave family and friends needing something to bring conclusion to the event....life can change so quickly...
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yes. But the find was simultaneous with the ground crews and dogs on the other shoreline and Beau had to be grabbed to and stopped at a run about 50 feet from where he was heading. He could not finish up where he was going so tonight we are setting him up a large source problem so he can get a good reward for it.

Water seems to be one of those things that is usually very high rate of success if someone knew they went in - for lakes "where" they went in is usually way off but not as much for rivers though there are other complexities there.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-07-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page