Small Brag in sad conditions - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
That is so tragic Jenny720, I'm sorry. It is common for good swimmers and experienced water people to drown, unfortunately. Often those not in the know are safer...
Rivers are certainly not to be taken lightly. Just because river rafting tours are operating also does not mean the waters are any safer. Thank you - so very tragic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:48 AM

Heneni7, were you out on Thursday? Just wondering as I saw several folks on that railroad trestle that day.

Great work to you and your kids. It is something I wished I had time to pursue.

Funny, on Monday, yesterday, I was talking with a client and he was telling me about the drowning (I rarely have opportunity to hear news, local or otherwise, so I count on those around me to keep me filled in) and how Dmetri was found close to where he drowned. From there I told him about SAR dogs being able to locate victims that are under water. He was surprised that they could do that and we talked about how amazing their noses are.

Fast forward to that night and I see that you, Hineni7, posted that day on this forum. I think I have read all your posts on the SAR forum as well as some of your blog. Of course that was a good reason to stop and read. Imagine my surprise when you were involved with the very activity I was just discussing with my client earlier.

I was disappointed that I did not notice any mention of your activity even in a general one when I did a quick internet search. I think it would be a great way to present to the public just what SAR dogs can do and how often they are the unsung heroes. They located Dmetri, the divers just couldn't find him due to the river conditions.

All done as a volunteer.

Very well done!

Thank you for all the thankless and often anonymous time, work and heart you and all other SAR folks give to the rest of us!
car2ner likes this.

Miika and
Kiisa's Mom

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 3 Arabians
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you Mika's mom. Yes we were out there that Thursday, although we were either on the river or under the overpass working the dogs. Then waiting out of site while the dive team did their work.

While we are not the focus of any rescue or recovery, it is true that it is unfortunate that no mention was made. We as volunteers rely on donations and public awareness to continue doing what we do. Honestly, we get few donations ever, so having the public aware of what, how, and why we do what we do. But I was glad they gave props to the dive teams who worked so hard.

It was ironic you were talking about that at that time, haha! Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

Heine7 Thank you for everything you do to help families have closure. the volunteers who do SAR whether they are finding a senior with dementia ,a child or helping locate the body of a loved one are most often volunteers. Thankfully communities have folks like you and pups like yours. sad that a young man was lost. Rivers can be so dangerous but exceptionally so when flooded. Thank you for all you and all the SAR folks and pups do for us.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We have a very strict team policy of not discussing any search on social media or the intenet but drownings are the most troubling to me.

Yesterday was another day of PTO spent on a water search with the evening spent with reflections of a young life cut short under preventable and stupid circumstances and the day after that is surreal and unsettled. The water usually takes the young ones full of life and future. With children and grandkids who like the lake and swim and play in it and with my husband and myself who love our kayaks...........I think how little it takes to prevent most of this.

My one plea is wear a life jacket on any boat. Just do it. You can wear a self inflating model. Strong swimmers drown easily in the right circumstances. Anyone can pass out before they hit the water and quickly sink.

Don't do stupid stuff. Don't walk on dams or the tops of waterfalls. For God's sake don't go into a boat without a life vest if you cannot swim. Do not dive in after your dog who will probably make it to the shore just fine. Do not operate a boat drunk. Do not tie your kid to the mast of a sailboat if you are caught in a storm. Know that diving into cold water can cause you to drown. .........all of these were causes of drownings we have been on.

Water is unforgiving. Recovery diving is extremely dangerous. Yesterday on we had several warnings when someone spotted copperheads mere inches from our feet as we were working the shoreline.

I saw the first face of a drowning victim freshly pulled out of the water almost 18 years ago and cannot erase that image from my mind. There is a road I frequently drive down which a toddler was pulled out of the river about 10 years ago. I cannot drive past that road without replaying that whole night in my head.............

The times when someone is found alive buoys you up. The dead haunt you. Forever. And I am not sure you ever get over that. You can reconcile yourself with the fact that you are only finding flesh and bones and not the essence that made that person who they were but I don't know that they ever don't bother you.

Press coverage. Most of us avoid the press like the plague and curse their helicopters who mess up air patterns for the dogs and the idiots who make comments about the family on social media. Knowing the family knows is enough and they usually do.

Hineni - feel what you feel and it never goes away but you can reconcile yourself with the comfort it brings even if that comfort is knowing that total strangers cared enough to bring your loved one "home" - I don't think there can be such a thing as "closure" though a loved one can at least stop looking for the lost one.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-06-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nancy you bring up excellent points. And thank you for your tireless efforts and sacrifices over the years. Your remindes of water safety are all excellent but often not heeded advice, and even the most experiencd get in trouble and can lose their lives.

The comment on media was not to being up individuals (media was out and we were careful to be as unnoticed as possible as it is not about us.. however, our work (SAR and SAR to) is an often misunderstood undertaking and while we don't do it for attention (at least those of us who take this seriously), it is a double edged sword. Not enough attention means we bare the cost of everything (which is where we are at now and have been for years) or get a little public notice and maybe we can have team gear that helps keep individual costs down. That was the point of the 'media' comment. As a team, we know that if one is singled out and with permission from IC/LE interviewed it is with great discretion, tact and the teamwork from all hands and departments acknowledged. There is no I in SAR

Finally, to the haunting memories we obtain from doing what we do...it comes with the service. Although some are more disturbing then others, and sometimes affect you in ways you would never expect. The very real dangers of copperheads (Rattlers in my area), terrain, weather, and sometimes circumstances are ever present... Again, a thank you to you and your team for taking the risk to help this family find a place to begin the healing process. Drownings are definitely hard although I've found the suicids to be a bit more lingering in the brain game of my head.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is odd. The suicides have not been the ones that hit me as hard - and they are by far the most graphic. We have rattlesnakes too but mainly in the mountains and lowcountry. Copperheads not really deadly but the Rattlesnake locations are often remote and far from help.

This weekend we had an accident in a gator in a swamp and that was scary with one teammate injured, me holding onto the dog looking for alligators and snakes. another teammate holding the ice pack to his bleeding head....He wound up losing a tooth and busting up his face, but he saved my dog from serious injury.

True on the money we do pretty well with folks actually going around to businesses. Press coverage from certifications has been very popular for us that and news pieces on it etc. or an event we did with autistic kids. Links to it on our facebook page scsardak9.

And thank YOU. This is hard stuff but it sure is a thing of wonder working with the dogs.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-06-2018 at 06:41 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I'm sorry your teammate was injured but very glad you and your dog were ok.

What we do with the dogs..what they allow us to do, and the way they take their jobs seriously (they know when it is work and when it is play, and even the difference between training and a mission) without complaint is inspiring. To be partners with such talent is a joy. And the amaze more often than not.
NancyJ likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

So you guys let your dogs go INTO the water? That would make it easier for pinpointing but. Alligators here and other dangers. Plus it makes training multiple dogs on one source a bit messy with odor all over the boat. I think that is something they do up there that is different.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Some do, I do not. I don't think it a wise practice for several reasons; 1) we have very cold waters and strong currents 2) dog can get hit by boat etc 3) boat gets wet and adds odor from dogs coat thus causing other dogs to prematurely alert... There are more reasons but they are my own preference.

I do know of people whose dogs alert that way, but not on my team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page