Trailing Progression - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Lol, yeah.. in my heart I knew better, just pressure from a less than positive team, and my own insecurities (ironically, not in my dog! She has consistently oroven accurate)..

Had another from the home for an adult autistic/mentally challenged, and again (both) dogs got correct DOT and trailed most recent nighttime walk. Subject ended up in someone's car asleep. Dogs were on their way when we were told to stand down... So it is most definitely possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Elite Member

Not sure if you have conquered the issue with working from home on layered tracks or not.. One of the questions you had asked was if the dog shows a difference in body language on a hotter vs aged track... Well, just had a mission for an autistic 5yr old who crawled out her window at night. I scented my girl before getting to the window (this was a5+ hr trail) which was a mistake. I did it because it was pitch black and a about 14 people from LE, border patrol, fire department and SAR (one other K9 handler of an air scent dog) LE kept getting in front of the of the dog and my girl initially took the hotter trail but I believe got stymied by her walking into LE in the dark.. She then doubled over herself reverse and ran an older track that was behind the home and laden with scent pools. There was a distinctive difference in how she worked it and I told the group following I felt this was aged and layered odor. I deployed my boy directly out the window and he took the track my girl initially started and it seemed like a fresh(er) track, body language obviously in fresher odor. We suspected the kid was hiding from us and my dogs would work circles around the property of a neighbor. I redeploy my girl with less of an enterouge and she runs very similar to my boy but runs into a scent wall. We had horrid smoke from the fires (air quality was 184) and a mist was now forming creating scent pools. I told them I wanted to go back to that area when conditions changed as she was acting like she was in fresh odor..

Early morning, we wee waiting for helicopter with FLIR and so I ran her starting down from where she had hit the wall and this time, she is working like a hot track, occasionally air scenting and offering (now known long distance alerts) proximity alerts. We work another 3/4 mile up when she gives a negative... This is where I screwed up.. I should have asked her to take the ground odor even if it was fringing from actual track because we would have had a walk up find... Instead, I noted it and headed back to IC as the helicopter was supposed to be there very soon and another searcher had driven past us on the road and I figured she would find her if she was on the road... She was.. Heading our way and I believe when my girl gave a negative it was when the kid loaded into the car of the searchers truck.. No sooner had we made base camp the searcher drove up with the girl.. I had my girl still harnessed a d everything and as they walked by she pulled hard to smell her bare feet and wagged and smiled.. I praised my girl and kicked myself, lol
. Kid was OK and had slept in a 'barn', one I believe my dogs kept circling and more like a machine shed with a tall ceiling, but she kept moving to hide from the searchers... Anyhow, distinctive body language differences for aged/layered track and hot/fresher track..
dogma13 likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

We have been busy this summer with HRD and Tilly has taken back seat to Beau again but we have worked problems where my subject has contamination that is a few hours older than the freshest track and she seems to work it out. I usually put her at the end of team trainings - she does well but is 5 and I may try to go ahead and certify her this fall. With her past air scent experience I can usually cut her offlead after we start getting strong head pops in a consistent direction and she will make the find and do a recall refind.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

In other words, she takes a back seat at training - my call - younger dogs get higher priority but she does well. She could be operational late fall / early winter and fill a gap between older dogs and new ones coming up.
deacon likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page