New at the forum - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
HHH

New at the forum

Hi, I am new at this forum, and come from Norway. I have a German Shepherd, Ivo, he is a certified SAR dog. I guess we have some different approval for our dogs than you, and I hope to learn more about your way, and the dogs and handlers.
I have read some of the treads, and can`t understand all shortening of the words you use. Would someone make a list and explain some of the shortenings?
I hope you can understand my English, it's not often I write so it will probably be some errors.
Sabis mom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

These are some I can think of:

WL working line
SL show line
WGSL West German Show Line
WGWL West German Working Line
GSD German Shepherd Dog
AKC American Kennel Club
HD hip dysplasia
CD Companion Dog (obedience title)
DM degenerative myelopathy
OFA Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (gives hip ratings and other health clearances)
HHH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 PM

I think most of us would be glad to help with our " shortened" words. I do not (don't ..a contraction or shortened word) like acronyms. These are letters that mean a string of words. Typically you use a string of words such as German Shepherd Dog at the beginning of a paragraph. Then the next use of the string can be made as an acronym, GSD. It saves typing extra words. It is incorrect to use an acronym that is not described and possibly from another subject. For example: you read lots of dog training where someone will refer to LAT without describing as above. I know what it means.... Look At That in reference to teaching a dog to focus on one thing and not another....or something like that. I know what they are trying to do but not everyone knows and understands the term or process. I like to say what I mean and do not (don't) like acronyms such as this. In engineering I do not (don't) think we spoke English...we spoke Acronymese. Laughing Out Loud. ....LOL

Please list some words you do not (don't) understand. I'm not an English major ( college degree in English language) but I am old school and was taught to speak and write correctly...even though I do not always do this. Also of Norwegian heritage.

Nice start MB ....Mary Beth

Byron
Mary Beth and HHH like this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone

Last edited by Bentwings1; 12-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 PM

HHH, the ones probably more uniquely American are American Kennel Club (AKC) titles. You can see a list in Titles and Abbreviations - American Kennel Club
HHH likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 06:20 AM

Born and Raised in the U.S. and I still have to look up some of our abbreviations.
HHH likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Welcome to the forum. We use so many abbreviations I don't even know them all with the shortcuts people use for texting.

I would love to hear about SAR practices in Norway. We have no real standard for certifying for the USA because each state tends to have its own rules, if any. In many states there are no guidelines for certifying search dogs and and teams (hopefully) make decisions to test to some standard set by an external organization.

The disaster dogs are certified to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) standards and can deploy to, well, major disasters. I think some here have disaster dogs but most have local wilderness dogs who find missing hikers and hunters, dementia wanderers and children (often autistic)

Your English is better than that of many Americans!
HHH likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Crowned Member

http://www.smart-words.org/abbreviations/text.html
I know only a very few words in the list above!
Gsd- german shepherd dog
Asl- american showline
HHH likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
HHH

Thank you, it is good to hear that it is not only I who don`t know all the abbreviations

All SAR dogs in Norway are approved by one organization, and the certified dogs've basically got the same education and approval no matter where they live om Norway. They can be approved for three different certifications: avalanche, disaster or the most common one; a general search for missing people. The general search includes all types of searches, in all sorts of environments, and the dog will report back to the handler when they find people, living or dead, and articles.

My dog is Certify for the general search. It is the type approved dog that is mostly used in Norway, and is called out to search operations regardless of the season. The approved dogs are called out by the police or not so common, the Rescue Coordination Center, and they are then under a state missions, but in voluntary service. We get the expenses covered when we are searching for missing people, but does not get paid for the hours. If we are called out for search for presumed-dead people, we get paid by the hour we are in work.

In winter there are also needs for dogs that are approved for searching avalanche. I do not have my dog certified there, primarily because I, despite that I am Norwegian and allegedly being born with skis on their feet, hate snow and winter! Nor is it so urgent need for the type of dog where I live, lucky me

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

You get paid for SAR? Wow, that is cool. We are lucky if we get reimbursed for mileage (and that has to be over 100 miles), lol. But we have many organizations that have similar standards for the different disciplines (trailing, air scent, HRD (human remains detection) land and HRD water, and article). It is true each state has their own idea of what is acceptable and deployable. Good SAR units have high expectations and expect alot as it is a personal life that is most often at stake.

Welcome!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 PM

Welcome to the forum! I often google some of the abbreviations myself.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page