Proud of my dogs - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes, dogs are usually interested in mouse nests etc (although the mad hatter tea party made me laugh outloud! Great image ) For HRD dogs, it is distinguishing between the interest of a 'cool' smell and them actually working and alerting on the source odor (yes, mice have been known to bring a finger or toe or some other body part into their little nook...eww) . It is truly astounding the fine tune instrument God gave this animals, and how we can train them to find what we want them to seek out..

I ran 3 trails yesterday. One was the longest aged urban trail I've so far attempted, mostly blind (I had an overlay of the trail on my phone and glanced at 2x for confirmation my girl was working...even though I had little doubt she wasn't due to her body language). It was just shy of 2 weeks old and she was amazing!!!!! Blew my mind! NO direction from me as I did not know where the trail was, even upon the 2 glances it was literally a chance to see if my line overlay the track layer line. I then brought both dogs home and, from the house had a family member who lives here lay a trail on the property and then off the property. My boy went first and took a moment to find the DOT (literally out the back door which is our main entrance) before he settled and nailed the trail, including the backtrack (because few track layers can follow directions, lol).. I then did my girl, same style; from out the back door on the property to off the property but a different direction). She took less time to get DOT and pretty much ran (ugh) the trail with precision.

I am blown away at the ability to distinguish the freshest track over the multitude of scent pools, layered trails that were minutes to hours old, and get the correct one. To work a very old aged trail and a hot trail in the span of an hour, and nail it! The hot trails were almost double blind (suggestions were made with various options, otherwise my wandering track layer might have gone 10 steps and 'finished, or gone 2 miles and 'finished', lol) but I had no clue how those options would be put together, or even if they would be...

I will work my dogs with source out and articles out. Give them a command for the specific odor and watch them work for that odor. Turn around and work the other odor and they single that one out.. Just amazing!! Dogs noses are truly a work of art.. a MASTERpiece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM

It is really incredible what these dogs can do. Matched with a really good, hard working handler like you and the accomplishments are amazing!

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks! But I think I am the odd 3rd wheel sometimes, haha.. Their noses and drives to find odor are extraordinary... If I stay out of the way, lol.. Odorand how they work it, to me it is magic, to them it is innate and symbiotic, a beautiful dance. I love it! I think I am weird, haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Ahh, gotcha.. But you could read something wasn't really eight in his body language, just off in a way?
I noticed his body language approaching the sardines was not the same as he did not have the same head carriage or the funky way his tail wags. I think he got excited about it like he does his tail for HRD because it was FOOD to him. So I need to proof him off of his food more. I do all kinds of dead animal proofing but not so much his actual food.

It could be the body language associated with HRD is anticipatory for his reward (the toy) and his anticipation changed it for the food so I am working on extinguishing it. Just a guess. And sardines is not a "dead animal" I have proofed on before.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

My boy passed his NSDA water hrd test today (boat and shoreline). We had run out of time for IPWDA due to quantity of dogs testing and the difficulty in set up for water tests. Anyhow, the lake was freezing in areas and it was 27F and cold! The lake was like glass and calm; no wind, so I had to really read him well because he was in a zen state and calm. Just head pops and twitches of nose, occasionally he would while and paw at the boat a little in the area I would ultimately mark as where the source was, but otherwise he was not his usual loud and boisterous self.. Probably due to the calm conditions and cold.. Anyhow, proud of him!
Slamdunc, dogma13 and car2ner like this.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Awesome! Way to go!

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page