Proud of my dogs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Wow!! That is crazy! That is where the adage 'trust your dog' really comes into play.. Just because we can't explain the odor doesn't mean odor isn't there! Lol.. While working a shoreline drowning I was told that it was along Indian burial grounds, so if my dogs alerted but no body was found, it could be because of old burial site... Thankfully, the body was found where they said it was, lol. But it made me think of the other boat ride we had done for another drowning where my girl kept giving alerts but nothing strong. Wasn't more than a month later when the lake went down due to annual runoff that an archeological team found some old bones in that area... Makes me wonder if that was what she was alerting on...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Very possibly. It is very tough when you have a "false alert" with clear body language on a dog who is reliable in known training areas when you realize how much old remains are out there.....When you train on pre civil war graves and the dogs hit hard on them.....And we are not even talking about historical HRD dogs who routinely search for very very old remains.

I had one of those odd ones today at training where I just marked it on my GPS and will go back later and see if we get anything again working the area as a negative. It was in the vicinity of a hide but not in a location where you would expect scent to pool and it was a very definitive response AND he also gave the same body language and trained final response as we were leaving the area. ............this not not happen to us very often at all.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Kind of eerie, lol.. But amazing. Truly astounding how attuned the dogs noses can be. Hhrd are amazing. I mean, finding remains with, well, juice, is one thing, but finding dry dry dry bones still buried is another. Makes you wonder if it is the gaseous waste in the soil or plants, or the bones... If something turns up on Beau's interest , please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Have you trained on human cremains. That one blows my mind because we have and have tested it against animal cremains and they can sort it out.

Same thing at a seminar where bloody rags were washed in oxyclean and the dogs could sort them out.

IT is fascinating what they can "see" with their noses
car2ner likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We had creamains on our test, it was the 2nd time they had been exposed to it.. I was amazed! I haven't tried the washing of clothing, but it blows my mind as well that they can make that distinction... Have you found something that can set dogs on a false alert? I know some dogs have had difficulty in bogs or swamps with methane although I would think that should be easily proofed and worked out of. We had a couple of dogs alerting on beaver dams. We figured it was because the odor got pulled into the hollow and created a scent pool (source was out)
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Mouse tea (mouse in jar and let it "cook"), sardines (just learned that one)

I just saw buzzard nose for the first time on a search but Beau did not pay any attention to it.

Fungus leaves foul odor as students leave for break - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Who would make mouse tea??
LOL! That is new one! Wonder why sardines could give a flash positive..? I have some so I will see what my dogs do.. Think I might skip the mouse tea, haha
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I saw the mouse tea at a seminar. .............. A teammate did the sardines to me this week. The thing is when he first went in I said, not his body language. Then as I started walking towards him he started digging AND offering his body language. Sometimes he will throw his sit alert if he wants something (like the ball going out of the fence).

The folks at the seminar told my teammate it throws a lot of dog but you trying them probably won't work because the dog will cue on you...... I was working a completely unknown area of 0 to 2 hides.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ahh, gotcha.. But you could read something wasn't really eight in his body language, just off in a way?
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 AM

mouse...tea....(I have visions of the mad hatter tea party now).
I guess that would make sense if you were in an area where there would be a number of mice. My novice sniffers tend to do a little extra visiting in some areas that I know don't have dog smell on them. My guess is mouse or rabbit making distracting smells.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page