post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

Wow, congrats!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks everyone

Car2ner that is wonderful to hear, I appreciate the feedback.. Are you enjoying the difference in how mantrailing is to IPO? (no disrespect to IPO) I swear, every time I run trails I am astounded at the beauty of the way the dogs interpret odor. Truly magical, imho
dogma13 likes this.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Thanks everyone

Car2ner that is wonderful to hear, I appreciate the feedback.. Are you enjoying the difference in how mantrailing is to IPO? (no disrespect to IPO) I swear, every time I run trails I am astounded at the beauty of the way the dogs interpret odor. Truly magical, imho

I am loving trying to solve the puzzle with my dogs. it isn't just "dog surfing", a term we heard from out M.T. instructor. The first trail it was amusing watching our big boy, he was looking for articles! When he found our decoy, he gave her a glance and then moved on looking for that darn missing article....hubby had to teach him that the human was the living breathing article to find.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Haha! But humans will be sooo much more fun then articles

On my test for articles, I have taught my dogs using a scent article so weeding through trash wasn't so tedious, ya know? Anyhow, the MT had set the articles on a hillside and it was super crowded, people everywhere. She had also set the source for shoreline testing out. She stood at the base of the hill to denote the ending boundary and to make sure the shoreline test wasn't disturbed. The wind was coming from behind her my direction. I scented my girl and she begins working.. She head pops repeatedly towards the MT and finally can't stand it anymore. She runs over to her and alerts. I asked the MT if she counted as an article which of course got alot of laughs.. My girl worked a hard problem and found her articles with pride, but always with a glance towards the MT, like she was letting her know she dropped some stuff.. Haha.. Dogs are so smart!
car2ner likes this.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM

My gal dog's first ManTrailing track ended with her finding my hubby. Since she is shy to strangers, the instructor wanted to have a well known decoy. When my gal found my husband she practically threw a party! The next weekend we had to find where two kids were sitting and go to the correct child. My hubby followed behind to watch. My dog sniffed a discarded sneaker and followed the scent but continually turned around to look at my sweetheart..."but mom, Dad's right there!" Eventually we worked through it and she got to the correct kiddo.

She did well on a short split track. My husband stayed out of sight behind our truck

Keep writing your stories. I so enjoy them. You might want to invest in a suit of armor though, and a new pair of boots.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Congratulations!

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

congrats. Love when people use the ability these dogs were born with. And bred for

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
My gal dog's first ManTrailing track ended with her finding my hubby. Since she is shy to strangers, the instructor wanted to have a well known decoy. When my gal found my husband she practically threw a party! The next weekend we had to find where two kids were sitting and go to the correct child. My hubby followed behind to watch. My dog sniffed a discarded sneaker and followed the scent but continually turned around to look at my sweetheart..."but mom, Dad's right there!" Eventually we worked through it and she got to the correct kiddo.

She did well on a short split track. My husband stayed out of sight behind our truck

Keep writing your stories. I so enjoy them. You might want to invest in a suit of armor though, and a new pair of boots.
Lol! Definitely a new pair of boots and body armor, haha.

Good to hear your gal is connecting the dots from inanimate objects to humans

I remember long ago, I scented my girl on my own scent article.. How you ask? Well, I was to hide for a teammate and she was to hide for my girl. We both made napkin scent articles and set them in the back of her truck bed on opposite sides. When I went to go get my girl, unbeknownst to me, she had taken her scent article and put it in her cab of truck and left mine on the bed. I of course figured she had taken mine for later use and I took the one in the back of the truck...So I scent my girl and she turns around slowly and looks at me with such an odd and confused look. I actually thought it odd the way she did it, but figured she was just processing the odor, she had only been doing it for a month or so. It was a half mile double blind trail, and she ended up just dropping her nose and following the odor that was before her (and it had contamination! I was impressed, lol) and finding her... Still, a stupid human trick that still has my teammates laughing, lol...

Thanks again, everyone! My pups have been wonderfully rewarded, they are now refreshed and ready for more training, or new missions...
car2ner likes this.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Man trailing sounds like it right up my alley I hope there is something like that around here. I have the kids hide and they always find them. I love it when max goes to far stops on a dime turns and finds whom ever is finding. We were in the trails my daughter had dropped her phone so she doubled back to get it. Max did not notice she left when he did his nose hit the ground and he took off to find her later they came jogging back together he was happy as heck. It is magical to watch them use their nose. We had a worker in the house dogs were put away. Max picked up the scent of a different person and followed the scent through the house it was cool to watch
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Trailing is extremely fun! Very addictive and truly amazing.. But, I am biased, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page