Small Brag.. God is good - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Small Brag.. God is good

This year was a bit of 'firsts' for me and my SAR dogs. We have been being deployed alot and have had the opportunity to do quite a few things that have stretched us and made us grow... One, was working two cases within a week or so of each other, both becoming drownings in major flood stage river/creeks. While my dogs have been properly trained (and set to get certifications for shoreline/boat and fast moving water) for HRD, having flood stage conditions was a stretch to say the least...

I was always up front and honest with LE and was requested to continue and give it my best shot.. The river in which one of the cases worked, was well over 20ft deeper and 100+ft wider than normal flow. It has taken 4.5mos for the waters to recede enough to safely work the areas the dogs alerted in. One particular strainer that grew in size, then reduced, then grew again over the course of the flooding, held particular odor for the dogs. I was called out 4 or 5 times and each time, there seemed to be interest, although unable to reach the area the dogs wanted to pursue (and believe me, my girl tried many times...and fell in..not cool)..

Anyhow, this past week we went up for a final chance to see what the dogs might say and to narrow down location. Dogs still held interest in particular strainer and down stream about 75ft to another strainer. They also kept going on land, of which I narrow mindedly (hey, my job was to 'clear' the water right... oops) kept calling them back to 'finish' their job...my bad. At one point, I was kneeling on the large strainer (about 5ft tall and 75ft long) and my girl was with me. I was talking with the diver trying to help him direct his team in where to search.. My girl kept whining and I figured she was just trying to get me to hurry up and stop yapping...My back was to her... When I got up to go back to the bank, I noticed she mouthed something... a rib.... my bad again... rib is evidence and initially 'dismissed' as potentially animal..

Strainer is tore up with chain saws and a lot of manual labor (excellent work by all the deputies and SAR personnel!) Keys, sweatpants (subject was wearing sweatpants before going under), watch, boots (same brand and size) and a fingernail are found... Due to the situation of how the subject went under (trying to escape from LE) there is skepticism that items weren't planted.. LE doing due diligence and all..

I discuss happenings with another very experienced K9 handler and order comes to jumbled thoughts. I discuss these thoughts to IC and SAR leader who discusses with Sheriff etc.. Next day, skull and scapula are found 150ft from strainer, on land, with bear scat all around...so obviously dislodged and moved by said predator.. Bad handling on my part for not letting my dogs pursue their land interest...learning point for sure...

Anyhoo.. After 4.5 mos of holding all the behavioral changes and alerts in mind, unable to confirm or dismiss them and 'lock them down' for next time, I am now able to do so. Doggies did their jobs extremely well in ridiculous conditions (one area of the bank we walked had a barbed wire fence. It had about 6ft of land on the other side close to the river. The next time went back, the barbed wire fence was at the edge of the bank.. next time, it was in the water with 6ft of bank on the land side gone... That is a LOT of landslide and earth going in changing things..) and a great learning experience. Yay doggies!!!

FBI will take it from here, and hopefully bring closure for this family...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Congratulations, sounds like a very well earned learning experience for you and your K9's.

Kim
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 AM

absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

Wow. What a great service you provide. Congratulations. How awesome to be be able to work together like that.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM

If only we could somehow speak and thoroughly understand our dogs...Still an outstanding job you guys

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Wow. Thank you for sharing, and for the work that you do.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

God is good, and Hineni's not too bad herself.
Aly and Dunkirk like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Great experience! Or "trust yer dawg" moment.
Sunsilver likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! It was a great job by all involved and absolutely a "trust your dog" moment! It is so easy to get focused on griding or clearing a given area, but next time, if my dog(s) tell me to work outside my selected area (I was only dog team so not intruding on any others space) I will follow their lead..

The other drowning case was worked again today and another dog team was sent in. They had odor in same area as mine, but there is no way to move the tons of earth and boulders moved by the flooding. The subject is believed to be under the landslides/rock slides.. So while no confirmation on this case, having a separate dog team have similar interests in area (their 2nd time there, first time they had zero idea of my dogs reactions) is a good sign that another 'find' will come sooner or later.. For me, it has been a HUGE learning experience because flood stage, shoreline, and boat/water training had just begun for me.. Obviously my doggies knew better, lol.. But interpreting their body language and trying to narrow down the area in flood conditions was awesome, difficult, and alot of fun in a learning capacity - not because of why we were doing it, if ya know what I mean...

Still have loads to learn and more to develop my dogs in..
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

Are dogs ever mistaken?
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page