Small Brag.. God is good - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Aly
Master Member

Thank you for sharing these moving posts. I'm always in awe at what canine-human teams (LE, Military, SAR, etc) can and do accomplish on a regular basis. It's truly inspirational.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks to all of you, nice job.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

You must of been very proud. Thank you and your dogs for all the life dedicating work you do. give your dogs a hug from us for all the great work they do!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks you guys

Yes, I am super proud of them and truly amazed at the ability of dogs noses..and their determination to locate the source they are trained for..

Wolfy dog... Yes and no.... Dogs don't lie and they cannot control their natural physiological response "alerts" when in odor. They can, however, give a trained final response that is not accurate. We, as K9 handlers, have to be extremely careful when training, or in a pressure situation where you feel you should be providing results/evidence/etc, to unintentionally provoke a final trained response. The dog keeps being sent in a given area because we (the human) believe something is there, and in frustration the dog offers a final indication. So we try very hard to keep our body neutral, thoughts and body language non specific. But again, as a whole, the dog does not know how to lie and can control what will naturally happen when in target odor. This is the job of the handler to read and interpret, catalog and file away if no final trained response occurs, and recalculate how the dog is being sent in to the area.. Sometimes wind shifts, current causes a back splash and air current, terrain causes blockage of air, or, if buried, hard ground might inhibit odor but it is traveling through the root system of a tree or small underground pockets and erupting further away then actual location of source.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Elite Member

I'm adding my thank you also for sharing and the work that you and your dogs do. Your writing style gives a clear picture of just how much is involved in the searches and the complexities. I have learned a lot just from reading your threads.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I got some clarification of where the skull and scapula were found (and now a bunch more bones). Initially I was told that it was found upstream on land from my dogs interest. They actually were found directly in between the two strainers behind the large bushes my dogs kept going up onto the bank and behind (again, my total bad for not following and instead being locked into the river mindset), and then back from there. Bear scat all around, so conclusions are that bear found the hang up spot of body and pulled it to land. It probably hid it during consumption because family and LE had been on that side many times in between the 2 months we awaited the water lowering to acceptable levels.

Lessons learned for me: -trust your dog..follow your dog even if outside the perview of my expectations
-in drowning of rivers, check banks every time you search because predation is always possible
-SAR is always a learning experience and new things can and will happen even to the most experienced (I was in contact
with handlers 20+ yrs of experience and this was a surprise for them due to the full spectrum of flood to finish.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So was asked to run dogs to see if we could recover more bones.. Been a week and a half since known bear activity. Had about 30 acres to cover over tough terrain. Lots and lots of predatory evidence. My boy was the star today and found several bones. My girl located another area in the river where possible remains remain, but difficult to get to at this point. We were only dog team, so finding anything in 30 acres, let alone bones was cool. Proud of my doggies!
mycobraracr and car2ner like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So, had a search earlier this week for a missing hunter.. He was mobile and told his friends that 2200hrs he was leaving the fire he had made for himself (it was raining) and going to try and walk out...even though he was turned around and lost... We had no genuine PLS other than a critter cam showing a pic of him at 1630hrs the day prior. I started my girl there and she trailed him for about 4miles before we broke out of the forest/wilderness onto a dirt road where she began to head west down the road.. IC was up the road and my flankers were about done in (teenagers unused to running behind a trailing dog, lol...they did great though) and I opted to inform IC my girl was hot in odor and wanted to continue down the road. I figured I could deploy a fresh dog (my boy) as the terrain was very very rugged and my girl, while still very energetic, could use the respite and my boy who was coming unglued when he saw us could continue the trail.. We didn't know if the trails we were following were old from previous days or the freshest trail - although, my girl was exhibiting proximity alerts and I was quite convinced we were on the freshest track...

Anyhow, within 2minutes of speaking with IC of my plans to deploy down the road, the atv team which was down the road found him walking up the road towards us.. We were within 500ft of a walk up find (2 bends in the road kept us from seeing him) when I 'pulled' my girl off odor... Argh! Anyhow, hunter was in good shape, albeit cold and hungry and he was eager to tell us what he did.. It was identical to my girl.. I had just told IC that we would travel south, then suddenly turn east, then suddenly turn south again before she got the hot trail and headed west.. This is what the hunter was doing as his friends were honking a car horn and he kept thinking they were moving and so was travelling south than east etc trying to find the honking horn... Everybody searching did a phenomenal job and it is always a great day when the missing person is found in good shape... Even better when they can confirm your dogs travellings ... So while not an actual find...it almost was
Aly, mycobraracr, dogma13 and 3 others like this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

If I were 20 years younger, this is the sort of work I'd love to be doing with my dogs!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Knighted Member

Wow! Hard to imagine how you do all of this. Law enforcement, first responders, search and rescue, military, you all have my deepest respect.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page