Tracking Question - Well sort of for sport but who knows - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

I've read alot about distance alerts for HRD, although I haven't experienced any with my dogs, or flanking with someone and there's.. I've recently had experience with flood stage Rivers and bodies and have learned alot, fast..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had one that I can't really go into because we don't talk specifics but it led me to correctly call a steep hill and point towards the river about a half mile away where the find was made. Beau had fixated on a tree at the top of the hill.

It is harder to say "I don't think there is anything HERE" when your dog has odor but you can't pinpoint, than anything else I think

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-26-2017 at 04:31 PM.
post #43 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Elite Member

I can imagine how hard that is.. I've had two cases where I've had to give specific explanations for what my dogs where alerting to, but in a less specific area.. Most non dog people try to understand, but don't fully grasp the intricacies odor does and how it can move. Thankfully, both these situations, great teamwork by all involved has rendered some answers - proving the dogs right.. Still, I don't know that I have the skill to call it accurately by my dog alert/fixating /pointing at a tree.. That is awesome!! Still have a lot to learn, that is for sure!
NancyJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
In training I will use the prong collar to slow him down, but my dogs can do virtually anything on that collar. I have done actual street tracks on a prong collar as well. There are times when I want that extra control. Keep in mind that Boru is trained to "find and bite." I need to be very careful tracking through shopping centers, neighborhoods and the areas we work to not have an unintentional bite. I also need to have control in case a subject complies and gives up.

Prong collars used correctly are not the terrible device that some people seem to make them out to be. I can track, do building searches, obedience and even bite work on a prong. It's not a big deal to the dog at all. Depending on the type of track and area, I may use a harness, flat collar or tactical ballistic vest that functions as a harness as well.
Just curious. I thought to keep the dog from pulling too hard. I've accidentally forgotten to switch from pinch to harness, did slow her down a bit but didn't stop her from tracking. I don't think a pinch is a terrible device but do think tracking the dog or letting it pull against the pinch is not using the tool as intended, and I've done both..
post #45 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Elite Member

I've always been of the mind to use as little as possible (force) as much as necessary (change). That being said, my dogs aren't apprehension dogs and I can fully see the desire to ensure safety of the public and bad guy if he surrenders..

I use a harness always for many reasons, one being the ritual brings the dogs mind to order.. Harness on =working. They carry themselves differently and conduct themselves as professionals when in harness.. Off harness, they know they can play (unless doing obedience or on a short lead)...
post #46 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
I've always been of the mind to use as little as possible (force) as much as necessary (change). That being said, my dogs aren't apprehension dogs and I can fully see the desire to ensure safety of the public and bad guy if he surrenders..

I use a harness always for many reasons, one being the ritual brings the dogs mind to order.. Harness on =working. They carry themselves differently and conduct themselves as professionals when in harness.. Off harness, they know they can play (unless doing obedience or on a short lead)...
A ritual does not need to include equipment like a harness or a long line. I use a harness and a long line for building clearing, tracking, article searches, area searches, etc. My ritual for tracking is not equipment dependent, that is I bring the dog to the starting point or scent pad and place the dog in a down and give a tracking command once the dog is settled in. Part obedience, part starting ritual. I can track my dogs on any collar or harness that I have. Sometimes a run turns into a track, like after a vehicle pursuit. We do a lot of different disciplines with our dogs, apprehension work, tracking, building searches, area searches, detection work, etc. My dog needs to work with what ever piece of equipment or leash is on him. I go with what I have and that changes depending on the call and environment. I've done real world tracks on a 6' leash and prong, 30' lead and harness and a ballistic vest. The dog needs to work regardless of what is on his body or around his neck.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #47 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau works HRD a variety of ways from naked, to harness, life vest, radio collar with bell, or prong, onlead and offlead.....but our ritual is call to heel, sit, and then the such command. Early on we started (at the suggestion of an MT) a short obedience routine after breaking him and before working him

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #48 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Just curious. I thought to keep the dog from pulling too hard. I've accidentally forgotten to switch from pinch to harness, did slow her down a bit but didn't stop her from tracking. I don't think a pinch is a terrible device but do think tracking the dog or letting it pull against the pinch is not using the tool as intended, and I've done both..
Ahhh, there are several ways to use a prong collar. It's use is not limited to giving corrections.

I have used the collar to slow a fast dog down, but for our tracking some speed is ok. Dogs can track faster than we can run, think of hunting dogs tracking a deer. They run full speed and will stay on track, clearly faster than we can keep up with or train our dogs to track. I do not like to run on tracks as I do not want to move faster than I can accurately shoot while holding a leash. I will jog while tracking, but will not track at an all out run. It''s not practical, effective or safe.

You can connect the leash to both rings of the prong and it will not give a hard correction or adversely affect a strong dog. Dogs need to be conditioned to the collar like anything else. Working on a prong with both rings connected to the leash is not much more than a flat collar to my dogs. A dog pulling against a prong is not a big deal if handled properly. Nothing to worry about and it will not effect drive or working ability, given the dog is sufficiently hard and fairly resilient.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #49 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

Oh I wasn't saying that you have to have specific equipment for a ritual, or to work a dog.. Just was stating what and why I use mine. I ran my girl for the first three months of her training of her flat collar.. She is a freaking speed demon and pulls like a mac truck so I know it is possible.

Also, while when we as SAR are deployed with an urgency, it is altogether different than your circumstances most of the time. Even upon our deployment, we work quickly - slowly.. Of that makes sense. I'm sure your deployments are much more charged due to the nature of many of them, thus your dogs are used to many scenarios and 'wardrobes' equipment.

Honestly with my dogs, if 8 put the blinker on having been on the hwy, the whining begins.. They believe we are going to work, so I probably could run them with baling twine around their tail and still get the focus, lol.
post #50 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM

@Hineni7,
I understand completely. For what we do, we have a lot of different tasks or jobs to do. I do not make a ritual out of equipment, even so Boomer knew when the 30' line came out he was going to do something. Our deployments can be fluid and change on the fly, so I just go with what I have. I do carry a 15" line on my tac vest, that helps to go from a vehicle take down to a felony track when the mope gets a jump on us.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page