Tracking Question - Well sort of for sport but who knows - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Elite Member

That is funny about Beau! I know after I work my boy HRD he is really slow to come back to me (after he has made his finds) and lakes behind because he knows the game is over.. Never after trailing - he is usually pretty tired as I don't run short tracks often (almost always they are 3/4mile minimum but usually 1.5mile or more)..

A great app for trailing /tracking is The Mantrailing app. Free gives you a limited amount of runner and dog trails which you can overlap to see how close to the track you were. For $5.23 a year, you get unlimited and you can set it up so that if you want to work double blind but are drifting too far off track, your phone chirps at you are signals you. Allowing you to either course correct (dog is crittering or just off odor and hunting, or heavy winds natural terrain has odor pooled further off track than expected, either way you are given a little warning) or continue on.. It has a bunch of information slots offered so you can add as much info as you need/want including weather conditions.. I showed this app to our border patrol unit and they love it..
Slamdunc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
The typical pattern for us is that after the person goes missing, family and friends institute their own search and when they start getting frantic, they call the sheriff. The sheriff goes out, runs a dog and if they come up empty they call us. We had one in the past year that turned out ok but I bet a good urban dog may have located him or at least helped us focus our resources.

If a trailing dog has a good direction of travel we will jump skip with air scent dogs ahead of the trailing dog but if we have a good LKP the trailing dog always gets first stab at it.

I know from HRD it is definitely important to have training single blind as soon as the handler knows the dog is on its game -- then double blind down the road. The only time I set a problem for Beau is when I want to work on something. Like a problem or speed drills. Right now he is doing this thing where he will run to the source and then "shop around" and I thought he was working the fringe to be sure. Had an MT tell me, nope he does not want to get put up and is goofing off. He would always work his way back to the source and indicate. So now I am doing speed drills and if he hits source and does not indicate, he just gets put up for awhile. They are not stupid animals
Very interesting!

We have a similar situation with missing children and even worse with missing adults. Some people wait hours to call us and that drives me crazy.

We use a passive indication and "opposition reflex" at source for detection work. Granted our dogs are close and usually on lead. Slight leash tension backwards causes the dog to push it's nose to source or pull forward and "lock up." This way the dg will not leave the source. We reward and praise at source so our dogs will rarely leave it. The passive alert dogs do a lock and stare and go nose to source, we won't pay until they really push to the odor if possible.

I must say I hate putting out aids for HRD training. The smell can be really strong. We work threshold odors and go from paperclips that have odor to large loads, kilos or 100 lbs of weed. I like dope work, easy to handle, doesn't go boom and doesn't stink too bad. I give you a lot of credit for doing the HRD stuff. Not for me.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #33 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

HRD (source) does stink bad, lol.. We work Q-tips, the lids and of course the jars...
Have
Nancy, your description of an urban callout sounds familiar.. Similar to one county I work with. Another County I work with is faster to call us in as they don't have a K9 team with their department, so we get first go and have had great success.. Sometimes more resources doesn't mean faster or better..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau is very dedicated about having his nose on source when he gives his FTR and has gone to great gymnastics to do so. In this scenario he finds it right away and then leaves and works the fringe (I thought) before coming back to it.

EDIT and I do always reward at source unless it is where I can't get. On a rubble pile we work the dog naked and mark with a yes and reward at the base because we really don't want to be playing tug on a bunch of rocks

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-26-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #35 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
HRD (source) does stink bad, lol.. We work Q-tips, the lids and of course the jars...
Have
Nancy, your description of an urban callout sounds familiar.. Similar to one county I work with. Another County I work with is faster to call us in as they don't have a K9 team with their department, so we get first go and have had great success.. Sometimes more resources doesn't mean faster or better..
Yes, but at some point you have to go to larger finds. That is what I don't like.

I remember putting out a size 7 foot in a ceiling tile in a building. Once it thawed the whole building stunk. That was one of the last times.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #36 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

People are all wowed by the q-tips but those little suckers can put out a ton of odor. The one that still impresses the heck out of me is cremains. [and we have proofed against animal cremains and I go wow]

I don't do forensic stuff but know folks who have searched walls that have been bleached and painted over. We did some rags at a seminar that had gone through the wash with oxyclean.

The odor really doesn't bother me that much. Except for some adipocere mixed with dirt. or really bad anaerobic stuff.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #37 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Do you know Edwin Grant (NC retired I think Game Warden?) He is mentioned in Kochers book for backtracking. He is famous for his trailer of sources. Lord if he is ever in a wreck ..... they would be talking about it for decades

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #38 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Do you know Edwin Grant (NC retired I think Game Warden?) He is mentioned in Kochers book for backtracking. He is famous for his trailer of sources. Lord if he is ever in a wreck ..... they would be talking about it for decades
I don't know him, but that would be a bad wreck to have to work.

We take paperclips and dropped them in mason jars with narcotics aids. The narcotics aids are sealed in two layers of plastic bags. The dogs have no issues hitting on the paperclips. We also do "rubs" and simply rub a plastic bag with an aid in it on a car door handle. The dogs have no issues hitting on that either. It is really amazing how accurate their noses are. I can run car on the street for dope and before I go in the car to search I know which passenger or driver has dope by the external alerts. I can tell by the alerts inside the car if it's some ones pants or butt. A good dog is really amazing. Actually, all dogs are amazing, a well trained dog is outstanding.
NancyJ likes this.

Jim
post #39 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

I don't have any large source although my team does.. Makes for using buildings that WILL NEVER be used again, except for training, lol..

I've always wondered how bad it would be if I got into an accident traveling with source, lol.. And mine isn't really self explanatory (placenta, blood, adipose, carpet from suicide, teeth, no legs, feet hands, etc ) so more science project stuff, haha..
post #40 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Honestly, for us it is the big stuff that can sometimes be more challenging. It is hard to replicate the full thing in training though we have been blessed with enough opportunities over time to realize there are some consistent differences. You can get some real distance alerts with HRD too so reading when a dog has odor but is not near source vs when he just can't just cant access it (like in a tree) vs when he is at source is one of those learning curve things.

http://emainehosting.com/mesard/pdf_...t%20Alerts.pdf

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page