Difficult Decision - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Difficult Decision

Well, I decided not to continue working with Tilly in air scent. Repeated ankle injuries (years after a fracture, repeated strains from stepping in holes and twisting, even with good boots has led to instabiity on uneven surfaces) have finally led me to the conclusion that off trail work in live find is no longer an option for me.

I will still continue to work Beau until his retirement (he is 6 and seasoned) but HRD work is a bit slower and I can more watch where I step than I can covering large areas quickly with a live find dog. Beau will be the end of the SAR line for me then maybe a small dog we can take in our kayaks (flatwater) It was tough but figured there is no way I am ever going to have the speed necessary to do a proper job.

So I can still help train live find dogs with a book, a hammock, and hiding for them.
lhczth, dogma13 and car2ner like this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:51 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Nancy, sorry to hear. But I know the feeling. Will you regime Tilly to another handler?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Crowned Member

Time catches up to us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

No. We don't really have anyone who is in the right place to take her and she still has more prey drive than I like to see. I will probably do some HRD training with her but not to the level necessary for working her (but she won't know the difference). This dog would be a jam up on lead trailing dog but, as you know, trailing is harder on the joints than air scent.

I have a teammate who wants to learn HRD so, before he gets his own dog for it (which will be about a year as he just certified his young air scent dog) we may use Tilly to walk him through the training process. Tilly really likes him but he has 3 dogs and his air scent dog is an intact female. So a recipe for problems.

Also don't intend to get into any dogsports such as agility or dock diving. I am sure she would enjoy those things but there is only so much time....and the team still takes up a lot. Husband and I are also really getting into flatwater kayaking. I am not sure there is a good place for her to ride on our kayaks but I may take her and Beau out for a swim along the boats on kayak days then put them up in the truck while we finish our trips (normally about 3 hours)
lhczth and ksotto333 like this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear that glad you are keeping Tilly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Crowned Member

jocoyn - that goes back a long long time doesn't it -- now NancyJ -- new roles , that is all that it is , a new important,
valuable role that can only be attained by years of hands on experience - the trainer , the consultant , the sober second thought voice if you see a badly matched team or a dog lacking the "it" .

so how's the garden?
Stevenzachsmom and ksotto333 like this.

Carmen

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yes, any dog that comes into my home has a guaranteed good home for life. I talked with her former owner who I knew would also take her back to make sure she would not want to do sport with her and, while she is willing to take her, it would be the same situation. We agreed that given that......it makes more sense for her to stay here. Only if we found a situation that was better for her would I let her go. And, then, only with concurrence from her breeder and her first home.

Unlike Beau, Tilly is a good house dog . Though they both enjoy each others' company.
ksotto333 and car2ner like this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
jocoyn - that goes back a long long time doesn't it -- now NancyJ -- new roles , that is all that it is , a new important,
valuable role that can only be attained by years of hands on experience - the trainer , the consultant , the sober second thought voice if you see a badly matched team or a dog lacking the "it" .

so how's the garden?
This year, the garden is a bit late. Gregg (husband) had back surgery and I was working on training two dogs so things just got to be too much. I plan on doing some bed renovation and irrigation development and getting it ready for a good fall garden. Maintaining Beau and hiding for teammates is not quite as intensive as training an air scent dog.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Definitely a tough decision to make. I remember reading your posts about your certifications with Beau and trainings and was always impressed with how hard SAR Dogs and their handlers work . Just want to say thank you for your service.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Elite Member

Nancy I think this is an issue that is very common in the SAR world. My heart goes out to you in having to come to terms with the limitations of our bodies. That is hard and I have had to confront this in various ways myself. It seems many of us have the time and ability to invest in SAR later in our physical lives. Unfortunate that that limits us. We have to find the grace to work with those limits and rise up how we can. Your work in HRD and with training and mentoring others I know to be a very very worthy and honorable "job".

Personally I think gardening is really hard on the body too! hahahah.

Peace!

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page