Difficult Decision - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

So very sorry to hear this news Nancy.. I can only imagine the war you have had between the undaunted warriors heart and spirit and the human breakable body. Never easy when the body betrays you and becomes the weak link. Still, your insights, wisdom, experience and abilities will be benefit all who come in contact with you - and be the better for it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have seen some who did not "know when to fold them" and knowing your limitations is a very important part of doing this. Last thing you want is to be out there hurt and re-directing a search effort to a rescue effort. Having another teammate go before me who had a health issue helps keep that perspective going. She, too, had to make a hard choice.

And, of course, Beau and I still do probably have 2-4 more years doing HRD. He is 6.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:42 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Nancy, I am facing the same decision. But for different reasons. I have done SAR for over 20 years. And while my body still has it in it to keep going, not sure my heart does. I am slowly getting tired of having that much responsibility. I am starting to feel like I want to just have fun with no pressure. Cause to me titles are no pressure. I don't care if I fail to title. I do care if I miss something or my dog is performing well during a search. So I am slowly coming to terms now of letting a huge part of who I have been go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

All that plays in. It becomes a part of who you are.......

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

It is a huge mental strain when analyzing a SAR k9 handler role. As a ground pounder you are responsible for your own abilities and can rely on fellow ground pounders consensus that an area is covered and nothing missed. As a K9 handler, you take sole responsibility for yourself of course, but also the dog who may be highly instrumental in driving how the search goes.. Keeping up the training of oneself is one thing, but to do it for another species, even one we know and love so much is truly another mental pressure, besides time, money, and physical exertion.. Also, (absolutely no disrespect meant for LE as I appreciate all they do, but making a point might seem like I'm belittling an aspect of their work and I am not) when SAR is called upon, it is sporadic, often having large gaps in between sudden bunches. LE is on the road most everyday keeping their skills honed and proving themselves, learning from the many opportunities presented. For SAR, it is learn on the job quite often with each experience being the 'new' one.

This also can be mentally taxing, so when I say that thank you for service to gsdsar and Nancy, I mean it with all my heart. Twenty years of service is a long time for any thing, especially a costly volunteer service that demands so much out of you, your family, finances and of course the dogs. Still, any decision made must be a knife to the heart. I know it is a part of who I am in every way. And while only a few years into my 'career' as a professional volunteer K9 handler, I know how it would hit me if/when I am faced with such a decision. Still, both of you have tremendous experience and knowledge to share and help others just getting started, allowing for less emotional wear and tear, and certainly less physical punishment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page