SAR Bay Area Nor Cal Suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

SAR Bay Area Nor Cal Suggestions

Hi Folks,

Im looking for a SAR group in the Northern California / Bay area / South Bay /Santa Cruz Area

My dog who recently passed was super into scenting/track work that I did on my own. I am planning on getting a gsd/puppy in the summer and would love to train the puppy/dog in SAR work if it all works out. Any clubs/organization suggestions would be greatly recommended.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

Contact California Rescue Dog Association CARDA. (Online) Most Bay Area counties require CARDA affiliation of their K9 teams. I think Monterey County is the exception. Also contact your county SAR team, usually associated with the County Sheriff. Try to do this before you get a puppy. You can get involved now.
giebel likes this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Elite Member

WOOF is another organization. Don't know how prevalent they are in the Bay Area. CARDA is definitely down there.
giebel likes this.

Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Elite Member

Also some Counties such as Contra Costa have their own K9 training teams, but I did as Karin suggested and found a local carda training team. Great idea to start tracking on your own with a puppy. I've done that and will try for an akc td title next month then transition to trailing. Are you interested in trailing or area search ?
giebel likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Hey Ausdland.

Do you mean that Contra Costa does its own k9 certifying? Just interested. karin
giebel likes this.

Karin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Hey Ausdland.

Do you mean that Contra Costa does its own k9 certifying? Just interested. karin
Yes, for their county sar team only. They don't accept MR carda team w/o their training/certification.
giebel likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

I contacted my local CARDA org who has an upcoming training info session in a few months. Respect to them they responded within a few hours after my email. I will also contact my regional sherrif SAR team.I'm interested in trailing and or search. Any book recommendations are also appreciated. Thanks again posters, you rock!

Sheila
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

Trailing is enormously fun (and hard work)! I am in the PNW but used to be with CARDA; they are a great group! I have a blog up on my trails and deployments if you are interested. Since I wasn't ever able to find blogs or information other then the basic (difference between tracking/trailing) stuff I started it up. hineni7.simplesite.com I have had some trailers/trackers and laymen enjoy it.. Keep us posted on your progress
giebel likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

The two books that are okay for area air scent are Ready by Susan Bulanda and Training a Search and Rescue Dog by Christy Judah. Neither are perfect and I have issues with both but they give you the basics alright. Just remember that there are a lot of ways to do things. I don't know about books on tracking/trailing but the blog above might be good. It is would be more worth your time right now to learn or expand your navigation capabilities. If you don't already, get a really good ($$$$) GPS and learn how to use it. REI has good field courses for this. Read everything you can on the dogs nose and scenting capability. Lots of online stuff there.

You might just shoot an email to whomever from CARDA got back with you and explain that you don't have a puppy right now but would like to come out and be a subject during training. They might pull you in sooner.

Karin
giebel likes this.

Karin
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Yes, being a subject (human dog biscuit) for the team you are joining is a huge help and a fast way to get on their 'good' side as hiders are always needed. That, and it is a good way to start learning nav, scent theory etc.. Lots and lots and lots to learn beside the dog aspect.. Which is a subject and work all its own. But as K9 handler's we are first ground pounders.. If a team is already deployed and they need me elsewhere, that is where I go. Maybe I'm flanking for someone, which is also a phenomenal way to learn, or running nav or comm's for them.
DutchKarin and giebel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page