SAR Cert Avalanche Brag - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

SAR Cert Avalanche Brag

Can't help myself. Sorry. Woot! We got our CARDA (California Rescue Dog Association) Avalanche cert last weekend. I know he is a dutch shep and some of you will wonder what the heck I'm doing posting this to a GSD site but what the hay. (We are hoping to cert another GSD in two weeks and we have an up and coming GSD who is a fabulous search dog... so there is that). Tygo did great. Got his quarry who was buried 4-5 feet under heavy wet snow. Wet is a factor here... hard for the scent to penetrate that kind of snow. But Dogs are amazing. I'll try to post an interesting video but I'm a bit challenged in that arena.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Hey congratulations!! Awesome job! Avy certs take alot of work.. Will you be on call through CARDA or the ski resort(s) in your area?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Congrats! Thats awesome!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We are not a ski resort team. So if a call out comes through CARDA it will be really a body recovery in the backcountry or with my county. We have high altitude snow country in my county so we could be doing the same thing. Next year I may join another local/regional team that aims to get to any avalanche within 20 minutes. It is made up of many of the ski area patrol dogs and has relationships with CareFlight for transport... kind of interesting regional team.

One interesting note is that there are two CARDAs. One is my organization, California Rescue Dog Association, a state wide group that has air scent, trailing, HRD, and Water and avy dogs. CARDA, Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association, is the organization that certifies many of the ski area dogs around here. They have a more rigorous certifying tests. Many of the US ski areas use their process to certify their avy dogs.

Karin

Last edited by DutchKarin; 02-11-2017 at 11:03 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 AM
Crowned Member

A big huge congratulations to you .

I had two dogs that certified (RCMP) avalanche search dogs used in British Columbia . ]

did you have training for air drops to the site?

tell us about the GSD that is your next prospect !

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Carmen.

Our avalanche cert requires a rappel but not an air drop. While I have done helicopter transports and repelled out of 4 story building with Tygo I have not done an air drop. I can see that being needed in Canada though especially in BC ranging into the backcountry ski cabins.

The GSDs are not mine. They are on our team. Actually 3 but one is trailing and will add avalanche to that. No next prospect for me until Tygo hits 9ish. He will be 4 in May.

One of the GSDs on our team...or soon to be... is an amazing search dog is from german showiness... haha that was autocorrect...showlines.. He has searching in his blood and bones. Lots of GSDs in California CARDA.

Kind of excited in May I have two teams coming to our avy training that have trained in Canada (one certified CARDA Canada). Will be cool to see what they are doing.

Karin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

Congratulations! That is awesome! A lot of hard work went into that and no matter the breed, what a wonderful accomplishment!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

Congratulations Karin, that's awesome!
Did you do that through carda or one of the local ski patrols?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Congratulations!! Fantastic achievement!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Congratulations Karin, that's awesome!
Did you do that through carda or one of the local ski patrols?
I certified with California CARDA. You can do it too!!!! Can't cert until you are MR. But you can train with us before MR.

Most of the ski areas here cert through Canadian CARDA. That is quickly becoming the standard. It is more rigorous. I hear those Canadians will very clearly and concisely throw out teams that don't meet their high standards. Makes sense. Ski area dogs will be the front line in an avy having the greatest probability to find a live person. I would be coming in if called to do body recovery. That was the case with the recent avy death at Mt. Rose. The area dogs are in first. One of our CARDA dogs went the second day. All dogs showing interest in one general area but no pin point. Probing took some time but I believe they found the guy in the general area but something like 7 feet down. Scent was dispersing widely though the snow pack.

Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page