SAR Wish List - Budget Time - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

looking for one with a USB port because I can hook up my Astro and see the data on a much bigger screen as we take breaks and assess our coverage etc. Basecamp will do real-time communication with it. My 61 year old eyes agree.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
The way I was trained, I am responsible for the navigation. I just find that my flankers often, not always, are not as good at nav as I am and they don't have much practice on dog teams. So I trained to look at dog, glance at GPS (my trusty 60CSX) and glance at terrain and repeat. Its a lot but it is how most of us work in my area. Lately I have wanted to have the radio too but that is just frustration. The radio possessiveness I'm working on. ;-)

Before I was taken on as an apprentice, my sponsors said, "You will not get fat, your dog will not get fat, and you will become expert at navigation, or we will drop you." They meant too and I get it. Twice in the last month our local evaluators did not pass, in some cases did not start certifying exams because of problems from the get go with navigation. It was a waste of a lot of people's time. It also cost some of the sponsors reputation for fielding these teams. You wonder how they train.

Anyway, I digress. I think with my county I could not justify the computers. We have a great Incident command team with trailer that goes out with computers, printers, and an IC team to each search planning and plotting strategy before we even get to the site.

Hey, I just got asked to be on our Hasty Team! A little promotion and a vote of confidence so I feel good. (Actually, I think a lot has to do with good navigation skills)

Hope both or you are doing super well. Raining like crazy here (finally) and snow for tonight, Yeah. We dodged a big bullet as a wild fire started in 50 mph winds south of me but the rains came almost at the same time. Without the rain, we would have had a HUGE problem.

Be safe!

Karin
Congratulations Karin!
As far as your dog not ranging out of sight: he was out of sight in about 2 seconds when I saw him take off like a canon ball Yes I know he was on scent
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Elite Member

There are thinner tablets with keyboards now that have USB ports and SD card slots, plus longer battery life without adding bulk and weight... Might be something to consider... Cheaper then buying a new gps with larger screen as you can use it for more than just the toggling of the GPS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
There are thinner tablets with keyboards now that have USB ports and SD card slots, plus longer battery life without adding bulk and weight... Might be something to consider... Cheaper then buying a new gps with larger screen as you can use it for more than just the toggling of the GPS...
Now to find one-I figure you would need like a lifeproof case for it.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Lol, I think that is the tricky part for sure! Probably could find one for the tablet portion, but not sure about the keyboard, although the soft key aspect should keep it pretty durable... I wonder what the military uses..? Sure they have rugged cases..
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

True that but it is probably very expensive. Ruggedized laptops are VERY expensive

I found this. Could be worth looking into.

https://www.ruggedtabletpc.com/products/xtablet-flex-10

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 10-18-2016 at 07:28 AM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

LOL, I'm such a baby, I would never add the weight of that tablet! I'm already trying to think how to decrease the water I carry. Of course, while my eyes are heading down that road of aging, I can say this now... we will see in another 5 years. Ha.

Since I'm new at this co-team leader stuff, I learned we still have money in the budget for this year so we'll buy another alpha garmin. Our county is huge and has a distinct mountain side and a foothills side. So we do have almost two teams and two of everything. We nixed the overboots just because as dry as it is out here (despite the last week) we just didn't see a need. For next budget we are going to look at more structured training workshops... or one of these anyway. We don't have oodles of money but we are pretty well taken care of I realize.

We really need a good trailing dog. All area dogs on our team now. Peter? Anyone of you feel like moving here? I could not slip that in the budget... trailing dog and handler. haha.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

I like the rugged protection but think water resistant /proof is a key to longevity... 7" might be a more appropriate size for a chest harness... How would like a galaxy note phone work? It is quite large and bordering on a tablet size, and would have the durability and water resistance needed via cases...
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
I like the rugged protection but think water resistant /proof is a key to longevity... 7" might be a more appropriate size for a chest harness... How would like a galaxy note phone work? It is quite large and bordering on a tablet size, and would have the durability and water resistance needed via cases...
Ziploc bags for that.

I have a galaxy note 3 but the problem is I need windows for basecamp and other things I would want to load

No android version for that and sucks down battery life. Anywhere we search no internet access or very sketchy. There is some decent software for androids when you can lock in or pre download.

But that was a good idea and I am going to check this out--the android software is only $2 and I just ordered a USB OTG cable so we will see

GPS Transfer €“ Android app €” Michal Bure?

Nancy

- Partner in Crime

Last edited by NancyJ; 10-18-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

Yes, ziploc baggies are our friends!! Cheap and effective.. I know android has a ton of apps and truncated free apps conversion for popular os's.. Hopefully it works... Keep us posted please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page