SAR Volunteer Shot - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

SAR Volunteer Shot

Can't tell you the mix of difficult emotions I feel. I was on this search for two days over the weekend and was going to go today. Yesterday afternoon, this veteran SAR volunteer was shot in the hip while in a very rugged portion of the search area. (He is expected to make a fully recovery). Shooter still at large. Search suspended. I feel so badly and wish kind and loving thoughts for the shooting victim, for the searchers involved, the subject, wherever he may be, and his family and friends. And I wish safety and speed for the law enforcement officers on the hunt.

This from my county's FB site:
During the 5th day of our searching for the missing hiker out of the town of Washington, a 3 man mutual aid team from Placer County was fired on with one of the searchers suffering a gunshot to his hip. He was extracted last night and transported to a hospital in Roseville where he is recovering. All other searchers are safe and have since exited the area. Law enforcement is currently searching for the shooter.
The search has been suspended for the time being.
Thanks for all the support from the community, the caring thoughts for the injured searcher and to those searchers from all the counties that helped in this search.

What kind of world do we live in?

Here is a news article as well.
Man rescued after being shot searching for missing elderly hiker | ABC10.com
dogma13 likes this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

One of my SAR teams sent me this info.. I'm so sorry... Glad you weren't in that group.. Hard to imagine how people can justify shooting another, let alone one trying to help another! So very sad... Best wishes to him, his team and all those involved in the search as I'm sure this hits much closer to home because of the locale... Thoughts and prayers for the missing hiker and their family too, as this makes the whole thing that much harder... Wow...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wow, too close to home for you. I know it is all over Facebook and sometimes worry - cadaver searches where murder suspected, no one in custody...clandestine meth labs and booby traps for pot growing areas.......kids who make drano bombs in coke bottles.....etc. Years ago a team changed a uniform because their looked "too much like the police" and they were getting shot at.

I sure hope they find both the SOB who did this AND the missing person...and we know each day out there adds to the likelihood the missing hiker won't be found alive.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

Having watched on TV news so many times SAR people putting their lives on the line, it is totally disheartening to see this tragedy happen--one man shot while the missing person may die because rescuers had to be pulled from the area.

After the Oso landslide in WA where many lost their lives, I will always remember a woman with her GSD traversing obviously treacherous terrain--walking on downed trees across an expanse of mudflow. Two other SAR people were with her slowly picking their way. All to find, against all hope, victims that were still alive.

Best regards to all the SAR people here.

Moriah
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Is the shooting related to the missing person or did SAR happen upon a pot farm? Glad the victim will be ok and sure hope LE gets the shooter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

This is so sad. Is this something that happens often to SAR people/cadaver searches- being shot at. I hope the rescuer recovers quickly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

This is messed up. I would add reckless Hunter or maybe poacher as a possibility, but not sure if there'd be any open season this time of year.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Crowned Member

Do the search and rescue workers or cadaver workers were some bright colored vests while working in the woods to avoid accidental shootings by hunters/poachers. I know law enforcement must deal with dangerous criminal acts by crazy people daily but is this a common occurrence for SAR and Cadaver workers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So the volunteer went through surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. Thank God. I believe the shooter is still out there. This area is poor and back-woodsey and is known for several things...grows, mining claims, drug and alcohol abuse, the Republic of Jefferson crap, etc. Probably a good place for people with mental illness that include symptoms of paranoia, anti-social, etc. Not everyone of course and not the majority. So could be a grower getting paranoid, some of the miners (and these are single people or a few people) can get tweaky and especially if they are poaching another person's mining claims. The Republic of Jefferson types hate LE and any intrusion. Don't really know about the shooter until he is caught.

We are in very bright hunter orange and there were many many SAR workers out there for many days. One of the issues may be the relationship we have with LE, being under their auspices and clearly marked with patches on our uniforms. There was no confusing this unless paranoia was involved IMHO. I heard gunshots when I was out there but assumed target practice somewhere. I'll think otherwise next time.

I just was training with a 20 year veteran of K9 SAR and he said he has never heard of a SAR volunteer being shot. Some have been threatened with guns for sure though. I was once out on a UTV in the middle of the night with 3 others scoping roads in a rural area for a missing person. The helicopter was above as well. An older woman came out with a poodle and asked what was going on. We identified ourselves as volunteer SAR and she said, "Good, I thought it was the Sheriff and I hate them." As we were talking, she kept looking at my shoulder patch which clearly says Search and Rescue Volunteer Nevada County Sheriff. We hustled along.

Anyhow, thanks for listening and your comments.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like quite a woods. I hope they catch this person and no one else is harmed. I'm glad the SAR worker is on their way to recovery - very lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page