Where to start - SAR Texas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Where to start - SAR Texas

Hey guys!

I'm looking into SAR, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have a dog yet, but I would like to look into the possibility of buting a working line puppy with the goal of raising and training it to become SAR certified. I would like to find out more about this and determine whether its right for me, but It's been difficult for me to find contact information about SAR groups in the Texas DWF area. If you all have any information about groups in the area I would love to know how to contact them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't really know any SAR folks in Texas but I found any number just using google.

For example this one. Seems like an established team in Dallas
Search One Rescue Team: CONTACT

I would NOT get a dog first. Get on the team, get your training done, then get the right dog.....If you try and decide it is not for you the dog that might make a great SAR dog could be a terrible pet. Many teams won't let you bring a dog in until you are certified as a handler first. The FAQ on this team's site is consistent with what I have seen elsewhere.

Have some patience when you contact them. Most teams are run by volunteers who work full time jobs, and run themselves ragged doing SAR stuff. They get a lot of member inquiries from people but only a handful actually pan out into members the first time they realize snakes. bugs. briars. storms. heat. etc.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

^^ this! EXCELLENT advice.. SAR requires extensive time, commitment, money (gear, travel, trainings, etc), study and drive (willing to be out at 3am in pouring rain, mud, wind, then go to work, etc).... For those of us who do it, it is a lifestyle. For the most part, vacations are trainings, seminars, clinics etc.. Or non existent...

Not trying to scare you off. Just state the facts because probably 90% of those who are interested don't continue to certification, or their dogs for numerous reasons.. Going to some team trainings and seeing /hearing what it is expected and seeing what discipline (trailing, area, HRD, etc) you might want to do (of course your dog might select for you, lol) will help...

Keep us posted and ask questions... As many as you can... Read voraciously about scent theory and how scent moves.. Have fun.. Is it worth it?? Imho, absolutely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Another bit of advice is there are any number of breeders out there who will sell you a dog for search and rescue who don't have a CLUE. Once you become active on a team, you will get the contacts and the "right" breeders will be more likely to do business with you because they know the dog will most likely get to work.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page