Could I be back at SAR? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Could I be back at SAR?

Ok so not completely back, but I finally made a couple hard decisions, that weren't so hard after all. even after training SAR with Titan for 3 years, I will not train him to certify. I can't dedicate the time for his training and there is still some confidence gone from that incident long long ago. Along with that decision I decided that I don't need to be a handler right now (future is still there!) and can still gain knowledge and experience by volunteering and being a security and back up. Due to my schedule and some resent things going on I will only be able to get out to the team maybe once or twice a month right now. Which explains the timing factor.. just a lot going on in my world, but I missed the team.

Last weekend was the first weekend I went back. Surprised everyone and just showed up. A lot has changed in a year and a half! Some new members. We have a mal on the team now and a king too! They are great. They like the idea of me coming back part time and I told them I don't need Titan trained, but they insisted on at least doing fun small searches with him since he is there and still knows everything. Which was AMAZING by the way. We have not done anything but nose work since we left the team and we did a small search to see where he was at and he did flawless! He surprises me every time! Love that boy.

Anywho.. just an update and to say hi and share where I was at, since I kinda disappeared

Hope you guys are doing well!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Elite Member

Wonderful news! Any k9 team is always in need of navigators and flankers (or whatever your area would call them) and they are just as important as the handlers. No I in team . Glad Titan was doing well even without practice, always amazing what they retain.. Glad you are back and able to train with your team.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is GREAT! It is good they let you keep training - helps keep you ready for that next dog when the time comes.. We sometimes do that because folks often make mistakes on a first dog. Priority goes to operational or near operational in training. It is actually amazing how well they retain it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys! It is exciting to step back into this world. I really did miss it. It is about an hour and a half drive one way, so that takes its toll on me too.. I think the once/twice a month is perfect for now.

Nancy, it's the same way with us. Operational/near op is priority but there is always a person or two sitting around between searches and willing to train a bit so that is awesome. If anything it gives Titan some fun and training. The team lead is also an evaluator for CGC and said he will work with me and Titan to get him certified That's my goal right now for Titan!

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

They know that investing in YOU is a wise thing . This will make you a better handler.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

I don't know how your teams work but is it possible for you to be on a team as not a dog handler? We have a great county team that is fun, rewarding, and cool in its own right. I'm a "ground pounder" now until we are K9 certified. But I love the group regardless and pretty cool being involved in searches for real. Other thing is you can get in the action pretty quickly compared to training up a dog. We had a six week academy (one night a week), evaluations and then you are on the list. Just an idea.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
They know that investing in YOU is a wise thing . This will make you a better handler.
I think you are absolutely right.. in that it will make me a better handler. I think I should have done this to begin with, now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
I don't know how your teams work but is it possible for you to be on a team as not a dog handler? We have a great county team that is fun, rewarding, and cool in its own right. I'm a "ground pounder" now until we are K9 certified. But I love the group regardless and pretty cool being involved in searches for real. Other thing is you can get in the action pretty quickly compared to training up a dog. We had a six week academy (one night a week), evaluations and then you are on the list. Just an idea.
For our team here, I just have to be on the team (show up) and the team lead will assess how I fit in and where to go. As a previous handler, with an uncertified dog, I would still help without a dog in real searches. I still think I could get my SARTECH cert int he meant time. I love just being there, so not working Titan is ok with me. I have accepted this path and am much more comfortable with it. I like just having him there and working on small training while I soak up the knowledge.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Elite Member

Our state has a 10wk course about 4hrs once a week. That will get you in as a ground pounder if tests are passed. Obviously being a dog handler or equine or snowmobiler etc requires more training and Certification..

Glad you are happy and content where you are at . Being a part of a team that saves someone's life.. Can't beat it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Our state has a 10wk course about 4hrs once a week. That will get you in as a ground pounder if tests are passed. Obviously being a dog handler or equine or snowmobiler etc requires more training and Certification..

Glad you are happy and content where you are at . Being a part of a team that saves someone's life.. Can't beat it
Agreed

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page