Buying a trained SAR dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Buying a trained SAR dog

Hey active SAR folks.

Every so often I run across a reference to places that will train a SAR dog for you or sell one too you that is already "trained".

Anyone ever have experience seeing one of these dogs? In all my work in California, to the best of my knowledge (in SAR for nearly 2 years now), I have never run into a dog that was not trained by its handler and SAR group. One guy has sent his dog to a puppy raiser for the first year and that dog washed out of SAR... but I suspect it is the handler... lots of washed out dogs and has never achieving certification in the first place.

Just curious. I would not do it more because I think it is unnecessary and the bonding and team process is so important. To me, team work is so important I would not risk diluting that. I want to know where that dog has been in his/her training. I need to know that dog to work as their assistant. Each dog works differently. I also think that training your own dog demonstrates a commitment that the handler must have. I keep thinking that the handler commitment is so much more a factor. When the dog has the working capability, he/she will be committed. But the handler??? Handler commitment seems more of a variable as I watch people come and go.

Happy training this weekend if you are going out. I have to leave in 15 minutes!

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)

Last edited by DutchKarin; 11-28-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Some of the FEMA folks buy labs with a good bit of training through Maranatha Farm Kennels. I think they go from basic foundation to fully trained. I think you can hand off a trained SAR dog like you can hand off a trained police dog but, then of course, you still have to bond and finish out the training. Obviously you are going to have to certify because I know of no certification test that is good for just the dog; it must be the dog and the handler.

I personally know some of the folks who have done this and they are good handlers, some highly respected and well known. The web page does not even list some of the folks I know who have done this. [maybe they would rather not this be known.......]

Maranatha Farm Kennels-Retriever Training | Labrador Pups | Hunt Gun Dog Training | Breeding | Grooming | Day Care

I am beginning to work with and will keep (providing the x-rays are clear) a nearly fully trained air scent dog handled by a former teammate; I have only worked with this dog in the past as a subject to be found. A new job, a move, and life intervened and she would rather the dog work than live the more sedate life of a pet left alone during work hours--I have not done much with her (I got pneumonia a few weeks ago) other than bonding and some basic obedience but last weekend I took her to team training and did a simple problem and she remembered everything, came to me for the refind, and then wiggled and licked me like mad when we got back to the truck. i figure between my pneumonia and an upcoming heat for her, we should be able to get her ready by June. Basically, I need to learn the dog from the perspective of working her but I trained an air scent dog in the past (Cyra, who was ready to certify when we discovered severe dysplasia-and I washed her) and cadaver work (Grim, then Beau) is but another form of airscent work.

A former dog, Grim, was a demo dog for the guy who developed the K9-BSD. He had been trained on gunpowder and on pseudoscent corpse, so I had to "untrain" the gunpowder and just never trained with pseudo. Basically, I had a NAPWDA trainer evaluate him for me, then a USPCA trainer, took him, trained him (he had the foundations) and he was a great dog for me. My heart dog if there ever was one. VERY bonded to me actually within a week of owning him. The guy's other dog wanted to kill Grim and he felt the whole situation was entirely unsafe. [so Grim was, I guess, trained by me but it sure was easy]

Not training today . Have learned the hard way Rest means rest. with sore ribs and a hacking cough ...... sigh..........

So, I guess I would say....I think it is fine to buy a trained dog but if you do you should be an experienced handler because you learn so much by training the dog.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I have a Maranatha lab. A P dog. My lab Phoster. She is amazing. Came to me at 15 months, certified at just over 2 and then recertified 3 years later. We have an amazing bond. Many of teammates have done the same thing and had the same results.

I think the most important thing is to find someone you trust who has proven results. And can give you support.

I learned a lot training my GSD for SAR. But it was different working a lab. And while my girl came "ready to FSA", I stil had a lot of work to do when I got her. I think that goes for every discipline, not just SAR.

And a good portion of the dogs on the FEMA teams in CA are from the Search Dog Foundation. A similar program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I knew you would have thoughtful things to say! Thank you! Maranatha breeders look pretty amazing. Good to hear if I do end up staying in this.... I might think about a lab. Best to you both and thank you for the thoughts. Nancy, GET WELL SOON.

Went well today. Had to drive through Truckee, CA to get to the training site. Glad it wasn't there, -5 F! Was an inversion so the site was a balmy 26 F. We are tapering for testing... not saying more than that. I may go "dark" no until I'm done.

Best to you folks.

Karin
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Interesting. Is there a place like this for GSD or just the labs?

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM

Maranatha does Labs only. Used to take on GSD, Lena was there for a few months to try HRD, but now they stick to labs. The training styles are just so different.

I don't know of any kennel that does something similar for GSD. It would be cool though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I know Maranatha tried it with a litter of GSDs but I have never dealt with them before-just heard about them. I think some of Renee Utley's lab puppies went through them

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:12 PM

They have been extremely successful with many disciplines.

I think PennVet uses GSD and Mals and they have a dutchie as well. But they take on lots of breeds.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yeah that is where I first heard of Maranatha, PennVet. gsdsar what does it mean a "P Dog". Saw reference on their site but no explanation. Is that a dog that they bred?

Nancy, I like what you said about how much you learn with a puppy. That maybe that is not the way to go, buying a started or trained dog, for the inexperienced handler. You got to go through it for sure.

P.S. I learned today... and actually last week too, that snow does funny things to cadaver scent. I don't see this as much with the live finds. But the cadaver scent stayed low on the snow and moved on, I presume, micro currents in the opposite way from the waist high scent. Just interesting.

Karin

Last edited by DutchKarin; 11-28-2015 at 05:10 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:14 PM

All dogs that Maranatha trains have names starting with "P". It's to honor June's first lab whose name started with P, it was a joke that became a tradition.

Some handlers change the names when they get the dog, but most keep the name or switch to another P name. My Phoster was originally Phlicker. Sounded too much like Flikka to me. So I changed it. But now they are affectionately called "P" dogs, even if they don't have a P name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page