Slow but certain progress (SAR) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Slow but certain progress (SAR)

Well today I had a mock mission ready test. Whew. All went well. 106 Acres 3.5 hours, two live finds and a heck of a lot of rock scree and rock formations. My handlers wanted this mock to be harder than a normal mission ready test. There was challenging topography, some interesting scent conditions that caused scent to go from the bottom of a scree slope, over a rock formation, lofting and then deposited into a manzanita field 2-300 feet upslope. One of the subjects was at the bottom of the scree slope.

Now my handlers will contact evaluators to start my testing.

Yesterday I was a subject on a mission ready test. The evaluators said to the person who just passed, "Now your training wheels have come off, now it is time to really learn your craft." ;-)

Any, just happy and kicking back now.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Glad it went so well. Impressive you covered 106 acres in difficult terrain in 3.5 hours. Sounds like you are turning out to be a rock solid team. I realize 2-300 feet is not so far a distance to work out transported scent but did the dog figure it all out, or did you have to read the dog who was trapped in odor and use your noggin to move your dog back into scent etc. ? Could be a good discussion.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, I believed that his behavior was not indicating a strong sent in the manzanita and I said that but also said, "Due diligence is that I go in there."... Because down wind it dropped off of a rockband that I could not see, nor did I know about the scree, I was a bit confused but just stuck with my plan. Honestly, it wasn't until I saw the rock band and scree (south facing) that I went, Duh.... and did the virtual slap upside my head. I'm not that brilliant yet, but I love complex scent... that puzzle is so cool to figure out. I'm slow yet! ;-)

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ah, so you noted some behavior, continued to work the area according to plan, then made the find. LOL I do that all the time - if there is an area with scent behavior, I mark it with plans to go back after I clear the rest of the area or suggest another dog go in. Good that you then figured out what was happening.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page