Scent specific air scent - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Scent specific air scent

Now that Diego is actually deployable, I'm considering adding a scent specific component to him. We live in Atlanta. 99% of our callouts are not in a huge national forest - they are in urban areas, so having a dog that could find a specific person would be useful.

Does anyone do scent-specific airscent work, either on or off lead, or if not, can you point me to someone who does?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

We have been having some interesting discussions here. Like you I think an air scent dog could be very useful to have this capability. Why not if it helps him/her refine the search and hone in on the scent of the one you are searching for. But then in a discussion with senior handlers they said the big concern was that it could teach the dog (or confuse the dog) to blow off some human scent and could introduce all kinds of problems. They said that is why it is not usually done. They prefer the dog alert on any human scent out there. I heard in Colorado all the wilderness air scent dogs are taught scent discrimination as well. Don't know if that is true but that is what I was told. Hope there are some good replies.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Neo, all our (SCSARDA) air-scent dogs are scent specific. I know ATSAR is not, so how do they feel about it? Now that Denver (NCSARDA) has got NCSARDA going again (He is an icon in the SAR world), he is the one that started us on that route and also teaches that...but he is hard to pin down.

I did meet a woman from Colorado at a cadaver dog seminar (most west dogs are not specific) and her dog was scent specific. Interesting...that we used to have a pair of identical twins on our team who would go out to Colorado to work during the summer - I should have asked the women if she knew them (they graduated college and moved away - one is still working a search dog in England now (she is in the USAF as a nurse)

Jane Harlan we the intermediate air scent instructor at the CSAR conference, lives in Augusta and may be helping one or our new teammates who lives in Aiken so that may be another good resource (Denver was the advanced instructor)

Our search areas tend to be smaller and more populated than those out West so alerting on every person in the area can be problematic. One of our teammates has actually tested with non specific and scent specific and greatly prefers specific.

PM me and I can give you access to our training calendar if you are interested in a 3 hour drive. Our trainings are always open to LE and to members of other teams. We have two who are early in scent discrimination training .

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page