Taking SARTECH II test in less than 2 weeks, any advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Taking SARTECH II test in less than 2 weeks, any advice?

Anything in particular that you would recommend?

I have all of my pack items, know my knots and have been using the http://dtsar.org/resource/SARTECH2StudyGuide.pdf to study.

How representative is the study guide of the actual test?

Any advice is welcome!!!

We had navigation practice last weekend, one of the 'letters' was inside of a metal building and really threw me off.......I have been assured that for the actual test they will all be outside. It was not a confidence builder......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM

No advice but wanted to wish you good luck. I read the list on what is entailed. Congrats on all your hard work.

Hundeliebhaber
Dedicated to Rescue
Pack:
Rudy 3 YO BLKnTan Melanistic GSD
Paige 1.5 YO Old BLK Malinois
Lola 7 YO JRT
Luna 4 YO Sable WLGSD
Bella 7 YO BLK Slver GSD RIP (Bloat)
Reggie and Ty at the bridge
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Elite Member

Best of luck You can do it!!!

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The hardest part of the test, for most people, is the land nav. I am not sure how it has changed over the years but your distance had to be 90% accurate and our markers were placed do you could see one marker from each other one, throwing your confidence a little. All were outside. Some legs were set where you had to navigate around an obstacle. One of my teammates actually went through a swamp rather than try to navigate around it. She did pass.

The only thing that threw me the first time was the card test because if the point person gets off on the team search the whole group gets off which is what happened to me. The one using a compass is easy and I assume you got the advice about how to use your walking stick for that.

If you do fail a station you can take it again within the year. [just the failed station]

They were very good about writing the test to the objectives. Have you taken the SAR III written test? I believe a SAR III means you just have to do the SAR II practical but it has been 14 years since I did mine.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I did take the SARTECH III written test. You are the 2nd person to mention that I may not need to do the SARTECH II written test, just the field exercises.

I thought it sounded too good to be true! Now I am wondering....I sent NASAR an email last night asking about it. Sure hope it's true! One less thing to worry about.

I can't wait until it's over! I want to concentrate on certifying my current dog next and I have a deposit on a new pup, that is due the end of the month.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Update us when you hear. Used to be you took both and if you failed the practical but passed the written test you got your SAR III. Some folks went from nothing to SAR II.

Be sure to put yourself in a position to be the point person on the route search!

You do know the technique for area search of shooting a bearing, walking out with your walking stick, putting it in the ground then searching for the cards when walking back to your start as well as working back to your stick. You will have to do this several times but I got a 90% POD that way.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I called NASAR this morning.

This is what they told me-

If you take the SARTECH II written test and pass but do NOT take the field exercise portion (or if you fail the field portion), you are certified as SARTECH III.

Passing the SARTECH III written test does not mean that you don't have to take the II written test.

You MUST take and pass both the SARTECH II written test & field test to become certified SARTECH II.

Oh well. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the written portion.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well that's a bummer

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in