Question for SAR experts... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question for SAR experts...

Recently in MI we had a young autistic boy go missing from a park, his foster family didn't notice he was missing for a while and they ended up searching for him, I think, for 8 days or so. (Tragically they found the boy in a lake close to the park he disappeared from.)

My question-- If I remember right, it was about 3 days into the search when they said they were bringing search dogs in on the search. My reaction was immediately, "Why didn't they bring them in FIRST, before dozens or hundreds of people and men on horseback crisscrossed the whole area, polluting any scent the dogs might find???"

It seems to me that, in the missing person cases that make the media, anyway, they don't bring dogs in until everything else seems to fail. Is it true? And if so, WHY?

Been wondering for a while.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I depends on the area and the relationship teams have with the requesting agencies. It takes time to build that relationship/trust to the point where you get the call and are placed on standby while the sheriff is doing the initial investigation and making a decision about bringing in other resources. Consider they are liable for whatever goes wrong or right on a given search.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

And that trust was badly damaged in MI several years ago.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
What happened?
We wanted to train our boys for SAR but our research showed us that our local sheriff doesn't utilize volunteers. Seems a waste because our boys seem to be " twitching" for a worthwhile job... I believe hey would be great SAR dogs but no reason to put in the work if the local authorities do not utilize their gifts.

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:11 PM

What happened in Michigan?

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yes, I remember that--didn't that involve a woman and her doberman? Bad, bad.

The difference, though, was that dog was supposed to be a cadaver dog, if it is the situation I'm thinking of. I wouldn't think that would affect using dogs to find missing people who have wandered off.

Susan

Last edited by Susan_GSD_mom; 07-13-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:27 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Yes, I remember that--didn't that involve a woman and her doberman? Bad, bad.

The difference, though, was that dog was supposed to be a cadaver dog, if it is the situation I'm thinking of. I wouldn't think that would affect using dogs to find missing people who have wandered off.

Susan

No, but it tells cops that civilians can't be trusted. Very sad situation.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
No, but it tells cops that civilians can't be trusted. Very sad situation.
Ah, I didn't think of it that way. She made it bad for everyone else! Yes, a very sad situation indeed. For both the SAR people and dogs here, as well as victims.

Susan
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, that was the situation. She was a very well known HRD handler and she started to plant evidence to help maintain her reputation. She didn't just screw things up for civilian handlers she also made all of the cases that used her finds over the years, including some major FBI cases involving some really bad people, questionable.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yes, that was the situation. She was a very well known HRD handler and she started to plant evidence to help maintain her reputation. She didn't just screw things up for civilian handlers she also made all of the cases that used her finds over the years, including some major FBI cases involving some really bad people, questionable.
Yes, I had forgotten all about her... I do understand better now why they wait so long, like as a last resort. Too bad!

I think she was from Midland, and I know there was (or used to be a SAR group in Midland, I don't know whether she was a member... Such a stupid thing to do! Such a selfish thing to do!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page