How much do you travel for SAR? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How much do you travel for SAR?

I saw we haven't had a post in a while so wanted to pose a discussion question.

How far and how often do you travel for SAR related activities? Do you believe this is typical for K9 handlers?

I usually train in town during the week. I have trainings the next town over usually twice a month. I have started making a 3.5 hour drive once a month to train with another team. I have not been to any conferences yet but will probably do 1-2 per year once my dog is older. I think the amount of traveling I do is probably a little below average?

Also I live in a rural area, so I have no idea what is typical for big city teams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

I logged just over 5000 miles last year for training. I try to train 1-2 times a week with the group which is a min. of 50 miles and often 80-100 to the site. People on the teams here in the mountain rural areas of the Sierra that are mission ready and do go on searches regularly log 8-10000 miles.

That is why I bought a 2015 subaru forester. Ha. Great mileage but I admit that we don't fit so well with all the SAR crap I have to carry.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I used to drive 2 hours each way every week for training but then lucked out when my daughter and son in law moved (job) close to my SAR team. Now it is 30 minutes to an hour.

I could move because I telecommute and my husband is in sales and we are still in his coverage area.

1-2 Seminars a year. This weekend I am going [9 hours] to the Eastern Shore of MD for an informal weekend long training with a group of people. In the Fall I will go the CSAR seminar in Alabama [5 hours?]. I know lots of folks who go all the way across the country. And fly their dogs. I have flown a dog but it is such a hassle even with a well-behaved dog.

4WD Tundra. MEH not so great mileage. 16 on average. 18 on the highway. Plenty of room though. With the camper shell good and open. I am still waiting for the US to bring in SMALL turbo diesel trucks that get 40mpg like the rest of the world has (and Ford even makes).

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

I logged over 8,000 miles for SAR training in 2014 (USAR & Wilderness training).

We meet for wilderness training every Sunday but the first of the month, average travel time is 1 hour to the various training sites. USAR training is the second and fourth Saturday each month and it’s usually a 30 minutes drive to the USAR training sites we use. I try to get together with other handlers at least one night during the week, during summer it’s usually twice. Last year I attended one seminar and so far for this year I have not planned any seminars but we do have an USAR training trip in planning stage to go out west (I am in DC).

Don’t think I will log quite as many miles this year, best guess would be around 6,000, which I would think is pretty average for handlers in my area.

Last edited by DinoBlue; 05-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

I think everyone logs close to the same amount, lol! Unless you live in a metropolis and train at large parka, or just urban areas.... I train just about everyday, small group usually once or twice a week and team training every other week which is always at least 150 miles or more round trip. I also train with the Priest River team of occasion.. Lots of driving. Yay Rav 4 gas mileage, boo Rav 4 room for dogs and gear... I would love a diesel 40mpg truck!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

LOL, my husband is driving with me to MD this weekend and said--why don't we take my Transit (which is loaded with his business stuff) We spent about 40 minutes unloading it and will use it instead of my Tundra to save about $200 in fuel! Win. Plus the dog will have A/C for the 9 hour trip (and an outdoor kennel to call home at our destination)

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Sweet! Bet the pup will love the air conditioning and room (and $200 less in gas awesome!). Be safe and have fun
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 AM
Crowned Member

When I was in training, I drove about 1.5 hours every Saturday for training and between 1.5 and 2 hours when I helped on a call. It is good to know that many drive more than a few minutes to their training sites and even with other teams every so often.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page